Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Beginners question

Go to End

2 Posts   1284 Views

audi

Community Member, 2 Posts

19 April 2010 at 7:28pm

Hi,
before starting with Silverstripe I've got some questions:

> As I have seen, there is the possibility to offer some "own" contentfields for the author. Is there a feature to multiply these onw fields, so that the author caon not only use them once, but serveral times, for example for news, adresses including picture or whatever

> or: it would be much better if I can build "global" contentfields which the author can include into a page himself

> is there a possibility, that the authot is able to choose data from an own database in the backend, so that there is shown something (based on this data) in the front. For example he chooses a name from an adress database and the whole entry (name, adress etc.) is shown in the frontend

> is there something like frontend-editing, so the auhor can edit the content in the frontend

> are there any special requirements fpr silverstripe or can i install it on a "simple" shared hosting service?

> whate about silverstripes perfomarmance. I know that some time ago a lot of people said, that ist's very slow. That's what I see, when i'm using the demoserver?!

Thanks!!!
audi

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

20 April 2010 at 8:25pm

Welcome to the forums! To answer your questions

Is there a feature to multiply these onw fields, so that the author caon not only use them once, but serveral times

You can manage fields or a group of fields as an DataObject or perhaps as a Widget which can be shared over multiple pages depending on your use case.

For example if you had related objects to a page (object can relate to multiple pages and a page can have many objects) you can use a relationship to map the two. Have a read of tutorial 5 for an example on objects and relationships. If you have a more specific example I can provide code / documentation

it would be much better if I can build "global" contentfields which the author can include into a page himself

This is another type of content we added in the new 2.4 version. You can create global data fields on the SiteConfig panel and use them site wide. You would use this for instance to include pieces of text (header, sidebar, footer) that you used site wide and on every page.

is there a possibility, that the authot is able to choose data from an own database in the backend

So say you had a DataObject with the data (Name, Address) you would need 2 things. First: a way to add / edit / select these in the CMS. If you link to 1 at a time perhaps a HasOneComplexTableField would work well (refer to the tutorial 5 mentioned before for a guide).

The second thing you would need is a Controller to display the data. SSbits has a very good tutorial http://ssbits.com/using-silverstripe-url-parameters-to-display-dataobjects-on-a-page/ which would be of some help to you.

are there any special requirements fpr silverstripe

Make sure you read the server requirements page - http://doc.silverstripe.org/doku.php?id=server-requirements for any requirements. SilverStripe will work fine on many shared hosts but for the best experience I've found a VPS machine (or one you can have more control over) can give you an easier time.

whate about silverstripes performance

Every site is going to be different, 2.4 has several performance improvements and I've found it quite snappy even when working on overseas sites. Demo may have been slow for you depending on where in the world your located and the load on the server at the time.