Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Subsite or Multiple instances of SilverStripe for virtual hosting system

Go to End

2 Posts   1399 Views

mje

Community Member, 1 Post

18 May 2010 at 3:23am

I run a hosting system - many websites over a few machines. I'd like to provide SilverStripe as the CMS system to use (tried Joomla - hate it). I only want to provide each website instance with what it actually needs and have as much common stuff centralised - to save space, make updates easier - etc. Whats the best way to go? I wrote my own 'Virtual-Host' manager (long before C-Panel was in existence) so modifying it is easy. I'll add a tick-box that will signify the user wants to use SS - so then do I symlink files into the users space, copy everything or use the Subsite module? I currently create a (php) index in the empty website - and need to understand the best way to extend this - ie copying (symlink?) in a 'template' of files would be trivial. What do people suggest.

This is Gentoo Linux, LAMP - etc.
Just wish SS was properly emerge-able.... :-)

Juanitou

Community Member, 323 Posts

18 May 2010 at 5:11am

Hi!

Try this thread: http://www.silverstripe.org/general-questions/show/251650?start=24

If I managed to make it work on a shared host without SSH access, it should be a piece of cake for you!

Hope it helps,
Juan