Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

What cms does TradeMe use?

Go to End

4 Posts   2611 Views

Alistair George

Community Member, 8 Posts

27 May 2010 at 10:05am

Edited: 27/05/2010 10:08am

Myself and an associate are looking at doing a huge database system, the closest equivalent would the TradeMe I guess.
He is the PHP programmer, I am a programmer from way back, but with little PHP experience.
My thoughts were his expertise for his designed core modules, integrated with Silverstripe, and with me familiarising myself to Silverstripe or similar CMS so that we can both maintain the system functions more easily. Any comments please?

I have read the following:
When not to use a CMS
Just as it is important to choose the right content management system, it is also important to know when not to use a content management system.

We have seen projects where people have done things using a content management system which should have never been done in a content management system, and which should have been done using custom code.

Publishing flexible content is done very well in a content management system. Transactional Processing such as accounting, Customer Relationship Management, ERP type systems – things which are highly structured, maybe should be managed using some other type of application or even custom code.

We add this caution because we have seen customers and developers alike try to use content management systems for things which they where never designed to handle. In the end they ended up with expensive projects which don’t scale, or which can never help the customer reach their end objective.

Tama

Community Member, 138 Posts

27 May 2010 at 10:12am

TradeMe have developed and maintain their own CMS using the .NET framework.

I'm sure there's open source packages out there for auction systems. Check out this thread on Geekzone for possibilities: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=48&TopicId=18887

Alistair George

Community Member, 8 Posts

27 May 2010 at 10:53am

Thanks Tama we actually have a PHP auction site installed, but this will likely not suit our needs due to the need for others to maintain it. Thats why I was asking the question about CMS and if using CMS eg Silverstripe would be a viable and robust method given the prospective size of database. I guess you answer the question by confirming that TradeMe use CMS.
Xataface (mentioned in Geekzone) does look interesting, will need to look into it more.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

27 May 2010 at 1:01pm

Well I think the main benefit by using SilverStripe is less the CMS side of things (you would only use it maybe for bulk moderation, reporting, member management etc) more for using the Sapphire framework which powers the CMS. By using sapphire you have the authentication, database, templates and controller functionality out of the box and ready to go. It'll make building the site much much faster than implementing it from scratch. The CMS ontop is just a bit of a bonus in your case!.