Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Not exactly website migration question, but how do I...

Go to End

5 Posts   1018 Views

dadonred

Community Member, 2 Posts

3 June 2010 at 5:09pm

Edited: 03/06/2010 5:41pm

Hello! I've just inherited an SS website. I've ftp'd the site down to my machine. I've added the site to IIS. But I can't actually open it up via SS CMS.

That is, when I enter http://localhost/sitename, I just get a listing of the files/folders; also, there's no index.php in that folder - is that odd? If I enter http://localhost/sitename/admin, I get page not found.

I don't know what the original name of the SS site was/is. If I've named the Website under IIS a different name, is that an issue?

I know I can access the original website by entering the original URL / admin, but I didn't want to "learn" on the production website. (I also see the draft vs. published mechanisms in the doc.) But I'd really just like to bring the site up locally on my machine.

Yes, I know, I have a bit of a learning curve ahead of me... Thanks for any tips/pointers!

biapar

Forum Moderator, 435 Posts

3 June 2010 at 7:46pm

Have you made good IIS config ?
I use IIS 7.5 without problems...

dadonred

Community Member, 2 Posts

4 June 2010 at 1:37am

I believe so. Because I can open/run Silverstripe on the initial/basic page that is set-up during the install (see Page Tree, Security, Files & Images, etc.). I guess I'm using IIS 5.1 that was installed when running the XP install from the SS website.

Mo

Community Member, 541 Posts

4 June 2010 at 2:30am

What version of IIS are you running? SS wont work with anything earlier than 7 without some form or URL rewriting engine installed.

Also, may sound like a silly question, but have you installed PHP and set IIS up to use it? I believe this is quite easy these days, using the "web application installer", or whatever it is Microsoft calls it.

Hope that helps,

Mo

Mo

Community Member, 541 Posts

4 June 2010 at 2:32am

Sorry, just saw your second post, my bad :).

To me it sounds like either URL rewriting isn't working, or IIS is not processing your site using PHP.

I haven't used the XP installer though, so I guess someone else would have to provide more details.

Sorry,

Mo