Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Executing a class method from the URL (for logout method)

Go to End

13 Posts   2376 Views

Xurk

Community Member, 50 Posts

16 June 2010 at 10:33pm

Edited: 16/06/2010 10:34pm

I've been searching for a solution for a while on the forums and on Google, but haven't managed to find one. There are some threads on the forums which cover a custom "logout" method for a logged in Security Group member, but the responses given there unfortunately don't help either.

My problem is that I have created a Security Group named "Professionals" and have the logging in part functioning. After logging in, I want to provide them with a "Log out" link which is visible on every page of the website. I looked at the Forum module (and the ForumMemberProfile class to be specific) to see how it is done there, as the module also supplies a "Log out" hyperlink.
This hyperlink points towards "ForumMemberProfile/logout".

In an attempt to mimic this functionality, I set my hyperlink to "Professionals/logout", but when it is clicked on, I receive a "Page not found" error. This seems pretty logical as the page doesn't exist, but I can't seem to figure out how Forum does this? I noticed that the class has the $URLSegment variable set to "ForumMemberProfile" and tried that with my class, but that also doesn't do the trick.

Another thread on the Forums suggested putting a "logout" method in the Page_Controller class and then a hyperlink in the template pointing to "home/logout" (the same principle). So I moved my method into the Page_Controller class in Page.php and changed my hyperlink to "{$BaseHref}logout". But this also gives me a "Page not found" error.

Can anyone explain to me how exactly calling classes and their functions from the page URL works? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1799 Posts

17 June 2010 at 12:31am

Hi,

I am not sure I follow... can you not just link to... www.yoursite.com/Security/Logout?

Barry

Xurk

17 June 2010 at 12:58am

Hi Barry,

Thanks for your reply. I've just tried "Security/Logout" and this does indeed do the trick :) Thanks for the tip!

One issue I still have though: it appears that this uses "Director::redirectBack()" after clearing the session variables. While this isn't that bad, I'd rather redirect the user to the log-in form after successfully being logged out - which is what I have in my custom "logout()" method.

My belief that this should be possible is fueled by how the "Forum" module does things and by [url=http://www.silverstripe.org/general-questions/show/275716?start=0#post275766]this post by Willr[/url]. So while the "Security/logout" solution is fine for now, if anyone has any further advice, I'd love to hear it :)

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

17 June 2010 at 5:18pm

You can do this, I think I mixed up logout (since its not a static) try something like

//mysite/code/Page.php -> Page_Controller

function logout() {
      if($member = Member::currentUser()) {
         $member->logOut();   
            return Director::redirect('something');
      }
}

Then your logout url like site.com/home/logout/

Xurk

17 June 2010 at 7:05pm

Thanks for the code snippet, Willr. Funny, that's almost exactly the same code as I already had in my Page_Controller:

function logout() {
         if ($oProfessional = Member::currentUser()) {
            $oProfessional->logOut();
         }

return Director::redirect("netwerk/inloggen/");
      }

Though for some reason, navigating to "home/logout" just provides me with the "Page not found" template :(

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

17 June 2010 at 7:08pm

You may have to add 'logout' as an allowed action.

In your page controller you need an array like

static $allowed_actions = array(
'logout'
);

If that array already exists just add 'logout' to it.

Xurk

17 June 2010 at 7:41pm

Bingo! That one hit the jackpot - thanks a million :)

As always, it turns out to be something glaringly obvious, once you find out that it exists...!

cuSSter

Community Member, 56 Posts

18 August 2010 at 8:20am

Hi!

I'm trying to do the same thing, but instead of adding extra code to the Page_Controller, I used a decorator class.
But whenever I click on the logout link, I get a page-not-found error. What did I miss?

Go to Top