Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

3 image issues/problems

Go to End

3 Posts   1464 Views

CriaturaCreativaStudio

Community Member, 73 Posts

26 June 2010 at 4:52am

Hi there,

I'm a graphic designer/photographer, and i'm using SS from 2 years.

Actually i'm developing the new version of our studio website. I have played around with templates and code (yes, i'm a designer that can touch a little the code, but not a programmer).

I still found 3 issues on the SS 2.4 version related to images:

• 1) GIF's with alpha channel still loose their transparency. I've posted this issue 2 years ago here http://www.silverstripe.org/archive/show/157598#post157598, but it seems like new version has the same problem, when i resize the images through the CMS, their lost the alpha channel
  • 2) Severe image degradation when scaling: i don't know why the cms returns very poor quality images when i use it to scale them down. I know that there's a way to increase the quality, what i'm asking here is what is the best way to do it globally across all the site, and obviously the best and easy way to do it! :)
  • 3) The CMS renames the names of the images that i upload: for me, this is pretty annoying, i don't like how images get renamed on the system, and i would love to turn off this option, if it's possible.

These 3 issues are bugging me in the use of the CMS to upload files through it. It will be cool to have some experts response, so i can improve my experience with this great product that is Silverstripe.

I hope somebody could clarify this points for me.

Thanks in advance,

Eduardo

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

26 June 2010 at 2:00pm

1) GIF's with alpha channel still loose their transparency.

Please post bugs / feature enhancements to open.silverstripe.org. It makes it easier to track and assign bugs to new versions. I'm pretty sure PHP GD can handle it so would be good to have it

Severe image degradation when scaling: I know that there's a way to increase the quality, what i'm asking here is what is the best way to do it globally across all the site, and obviously the best and easy way to do it!

The global way is to use GD::set_default_quality(100); For 100% quality. Some other threads have mentioned that sharpening an image can result in better quality as well. If you have a look around I think there is a patch either here or on open.silverstripe.org.

The CMS renames the names of the images that i upload

It renames images for security purposes. Can you give examples of what you don't like about the file title - you can change the title / name to something nicer but filename has to work on the file system. It only allows alphanumeric values without spaces.

CriaturaCreativaStudio

Community Member, 73 Posts

26 June 2010 at 2:10pm

Hi there!

tnx for your answer!

Please post bugs / feature enhancements to open.silverstripe.org. It makes it easier to track and assign bugs to new versions. I'm pretty sure PHP GD can handle it so would be good to have it
I think this bug was already posted on that time (the time when i originally posted this issue, two years ago)

the GD::set_default_quality(100); should be placed in the _config.php file right?

About the renaming, here is my original name:
icon_isologotipos_isologotipos_redesign.gif that became in iconisologotiposisologotiposredesign.gif, that isn't friendly at all.

thanks Willr

Regards

Ed