Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Generator HTML Tag

Go to End

16 Posts   11654 Views

Community Member, 534 Posts

29 June 2010 at 4:05am

Hi All,

Just noticed that Silverstripe 2.4 now gernerates a generator HTML tag in the sites HEAD. Though this doesn't bother me for most sites, we have some high security sites built in Silverstripe that I would feel more comfortable about removing this for.

Is this possible, and if so, how?

Forum Moderator, 5521 Posts

29 June 2010 at 10:05am

Copy the MetaTags() function from SiteTree.php to your own Page.php. Then you can customize it as much as you need.

Community Member, 534 Posts

29 June 2010 at 7:05pm

Oooo, I have always wondered how you customise MetaTags, never really put a lot of time into working it out though.

Cheers Willr!

Community Member, 18 Posts

30 June 2010 at 7:09am

Hi there, so my site works fine in every browser except for explorer (using IE7). My site header looks like this:

<% base_tag %>
<title><% if MetaTitle %>$MetaTitle<% else %>$Title<% end_if %> &raquo; $SiteConfig.Title</title>
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" />

I like how the generator works and i would like to include it in the header. Unfortunately explorer is displaying the Custom Meta Tags in the public header of my site.

The only way i have been able to fix this is by deleting $MetaTags line from the header code but as i said, i would like to include the meta tags and the problem is with IE only.

Can someone point to how I can fix this?

Thank you, P.

Community Member, 39 Posts

30 June 2010 at 10:22am

Edited: 30/06/2010 10:25am

I like this post, because I had thought about this before, but did not know where to go to customize it a little...

I had a client ask about generating Canonical URLs for their Silverstripe I though to myself - with SS you don't really need Canonical URLs because the SS URLSegment is so sweet and simple. (Other CMS struggle at this with params etc)....

Anyways I had created a method in the Page class that generates the Canonical URL, and then when I saw this post, I thought why not customize the MetaTags function and have it generate it instead of putting the call in the .ss template.

So here goes some code.

1. Create a GetCanonical Method in your Page class controller (there are bunch of if/else statement to try and handle actions/IDs/OtherIDs in the NestedURL structure of 2.4)

function GetCanonical() {
		if (Director::urlParam('Action')) {
			$action = Director::urlParam('Action');
    		        $parameterID = urlencode(Director::urlParam('ID'));
    		        $parameterOtherID = urlencode(Director::urlParam('OtherID'));
		        if (strcmp($action, $this->URLSegment) == 0 && empty($parameterID)  ) {
				return false;
    		        } else if (strcmp($parameterID, $this->URLSegment) == 0) {
    			        return false;
    		        } else if (strcmp($action, $this->URLSegment) != 0 && empty($parameterOtherID)){
    			        return $action . '/' . $parameterID;
    		        } else {
    			        return $parameterID . '/' . $parameterOtherID;

2. Add this simple line to your MetaTags function

$tags .= "<link rel=\"canonical\" href=\"" . $this->AbsoluteLink() . $this->GetCanonical() . "\" />\n";

This should work with simple URLs as well as accomodate the case of DataObjects being displayed with action/ID functionality. Please feel free to take it, use it, or even provide feedback on a better and more efficient means to achieve this.

- Ed

Community Member, 81 Posts

3 October 2010 at 7:14am

What about custom controller?

Director::addRules(50, array('shop/$Action/$ID' => 'Products_Controller'));
class Products_Controller extends Page_Controller

I tried:

public function MetaTags($includeTitle = TRUE){
   			$tags = "<title>TEST</title>\n";
   			$this->extend('MetaTags', $tags);

and got nothing

Community Member, 102 Posts

23 September 2011 at 4:32am

Edited: 23/09/2011 5:10am

2 things to add to the Canonical discussion...

1) If you're just adding a tag, it's simpler to pull it into the .ss file than override the MetaTags function. (The original reason overriding MetaTags was recommended in this thread was to remove a tag.)

2) The canonical tag should include the domain name if there's a chance that multiple domains or subdomains point to the same page, so the code below uses protocolAndHost.

In the Page.php define...

function CanonicalURL() {
		return Director::protocolAndHost() . $this->Link();

...then in

<% base_tag %>
	<link rel="canonical" href="$CanonicalURL" />

Note that this doesn't include edk's solution for dealing with virtual pages (good point!), but the two could easily be merged...

Community Member, 8 Posts

29 September 2011 at 2:09am

Hi, I tried to use the function GetCanonical by -Ed,

so i added

- function GetCanonical() to the page.php
- $tags .= "<link rel=\"canonical\" href=\"" . $this->AbsoluteLink() . $this->GetCanonical() . "\" />\n"; to SiteTree.php

and i also added the code from inCharge

function CanonicalURL() {
return Director::protocolAndHost() . $this->Link();
to page.php

<link rel="canonical" href="$CanonicalURL" />
to the

But i only geht an empty <link rel="canonical" href="" />

Can you help?

Best regards bastiR

Go to Top