Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Cannot Reference Banner Image more than Once

5 Posts   1062 Views

tigger

Community Member, 3 Posts

3 September 2010 at 4:36am

*** newbie/noob question (sorry) ***

I have extended SiteTree in my Page.php to provide support for banner images on pages within my site - and this works as intended, for example:

class Page extends SiteTree {

public static $db = array(
);

public static $has_one = array(
'BannerImage' => 'Page_BannerImage',
);

function getCMSFields() {
$fields = parent::getCMSFields();
$fields ->addFieldsToTab(
'Root.Content.Banner',
new ImageField('BannerImage', 'Banner')
);

return $fields;

}

function getBannerImageRecursive() {
$page = $this;
$banner = $this->BannerImage();
while(!$banner->ID && $page->ParentID !=0) {
$page = $page->Parent();
$banner = $page->BannerImage();
}

return $banner;

}

The obstacle I have encountered is that once an image is selected from the File Store and attached to a page, that image is no longer referenced in the File Store list and cannot (apparently) be used as an attachment for another page. Yes, I know that I can attach an image from my file system (workaround?) yet, I am looking for a method that continues to enumerate the files/images on the File Store list.

Any ideas???

dendeffe

Community Member, 135 Posts

4 September 2010 at 1:30am

Edited: 04/09/2010 1:30am

I'm also having this problem a lot. I tend to use the Image DataObjectManager instead.

tigger

4 September 2010 at 2:16am

dendeffe - Thanks for the tip on an alternative method! Now, (and since I am a novice here) would you explain how I might go about implementing the Image DataObjectManager class? Or at least point me to some explanatory documentation? - thanks in advance.

dendeffe

Community Member, 135 Posts

4 September 2010 at 2:39am

It’s part of the Data Object Manager extension: http://www.silverstripe.org/dataobjectmanager-module/

which has pretty good documentation.

You can also check out UncleCheese’s (who develops it) screencast: http://www.leftandmain.com/silverstripe-screencasts/2010/08/23/a-quick-look-imagegallery-module/

tigger

4 September 2010 at 2:42am

Thank you! I will evaluate this alternative and let you (and everyone in the forum) know how it turns out!