Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Problem with URL after update to 2.4.1 (think it's JS related)


Reply


5 Posts   1111 Views

Avatar
suntrop

Community Member, 131 Posts

30 July 2010 at 9:29pm

After updating my site from 2.4.0 to 2.4.1 I noticed a JavaScript bug(?) in the new URL feature ("Better URL "transliteration" of special characters").

First, when I change the page name and click ok to change the URL too, the URL field is blank. When I click inside the field and then somewhere else the field is filled with my page name.

Seccond, special characters (like Schüler or René) doesn't get better translated. I still see a dash - where 'ue' or 'e' schould be.

I can't believe it is in the release of 2.4.1. There must be a problem with another module or something else.
These modules are installed on my SS installation: embargoexpiry, googlesitemaps, legacydatetimefields and userforms.

Anybody here who knows how to fix it? Similar problems with 2.4.1?

Avatar
suntrop

Community Member, 131 Posts

3 August 2010 at 7:41am

Nobody else having the same issue?

Maybe there is a problem with the JS file. Which file do I have to upload/check again?

Avatar
schellmax

Community Member, 126 Posts

9 October 2010 at 11:34pm

i'm having exactly the same behaviour on my 2.4.1 installation, without any of the modules you mention.
the cms javascript is kind of a mess in some areas, and i remember having read somewhere that there's already some discussion going on in the silverstripe team to rewrite it. don't get me wrong - i really appreciate all the hard work that's in there.
i'll see wheter i can find something and post back here.

Avatar
schellmax

Community Member, 126 Posts

10 October 2010 at 12:17am

well, i kind of got it.

first: the transliteration feature DOES work - in a way.
the reason why you get a blank urlsegment field after clicking OK in the alertbox ('Would you like me to change the URL...') is that silverstripe staff decided not to port the transliteration logic to javascript.
so don't touch the urlsegment field - just save the page and wait until it's being reloaded in the cms - your urlsegment should be fine now.

second, first isn't all true. of course, the new transliteration logic wasn't implemented in javascript - but the old one wasn't removed either. whenever the urlsegment field loses focus, some js is being run to make sure the field doesn't contain invalid characters AND ISN'T EMPTY. that's the tricky part, as the php logic saving the page relies on an empty value as a trigger for the new transliteration code.

also see http://open.silverstripe.org/ticket/2452

Avatar
suntrop

Community Member, 131 Posts

10 October 2010 at 1:07am

Thanks for your post.
Your are right, it seems to be a JS "display error" not a functional error. When I save and the page reloads everything looks fine (even special characters like ç ö å).

Think they fix it in the next update – hope so :-)

Bey
suntrop