Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Newbie: can I use SilverStribe and can a template be placed on existing web content??

8 Posts   889 Views

Maikenjh

Community Member, 5 Posts

24 September 2010 at 9:19am

I know absolutely nothing about coding and so on. A friend of mine has helped me get started and made me a SilverStribe installation of a template I showed him (it was not a Silverstribe installation, so I guess he did it manually). I filled in the template with text and pictures myself and it was extremely close to being done, when all of a sudden it crashed (the template is now missing). My friend told me it was because I used 1.5 gb on the host (even if I had only 1 gb available). He sounds very annoyed with me know, and I feel badly treated as I was not aware of how much space I had or that it could make i crash. Now he tells me, that he want total control and money to help me, or I can do it all myself. Offcourse I prefere that someone else helps me now...

Lukely I have a girlfriend that will meet with me a couple of hours next week - and she knows quite a bit about doing websites.

My questions is therefore: Can I still use all the text I have in Silverstribe and put a template on top of it? My girlfriend do not know Silverstribe, but do websites at her job. How can I best prepare for our meeting - what should I tell her about Silverstribe, that will enable her to help me best possible?

I am very greatfull for any answers.

Thanks from the danish girl
Maiken

ttyl

Community Member, 114 Posts

24 September 2010 at 9:57am

will your friend (the mean one) give you a copy of your files and database? if you have those you should be ok.

Maikenjh

24 September 2010 at 10:04am

I wrote all the text and uploaded all pictures, so this I have allready. Are you refering to anything else?

Maikenjh

24 September 2010 at 10:05am

I am currrently downloading SilverStribe - as this would probably be an advantage :o)

Maikenjh

24 September 2010 at 10:14am

The installation of Silverstripe is not as easy as I hoped for. I do not know what to state in the enclosed screenshot.

I do know the following though:
Host: UnoEuro

...but in regard to "physical path" and "IP adress" - what do I do here?

Maikenjh

24 September 2010 at 6:06pm

ttyl: I think I found an answer to your question.

I have all passwords and information linked to my hosting at UnoEuro, which includes an automatically generated MySQL database. I understand nothing when looking into the databases, but hopefully my girlfriend can use this information next week.

As the previously generated template seems to be lost, I would still like an answer on whether it is possible to place a SilverStripe template on top of already generated website content (sorry if this is a stupid question) :o)

Thanks Maiken

banal

Community Member, 901 Posts

24 September 2010 at 8:21pm

Yes, you can easily add/change the template of an existing SilverStripe installation.
You should probably consider creating a template that takes less space than 1.5 GB though :D

ttyl

Community Member, 114 Posts

28 September 2010 at 3:52am

if you already entered your content into one silverstripe installation you would need the old database once you make your new installation. otherwise, you'd have to re-enter everything in the new installation.