Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Newbie: can I use SilverStribe and can a template be placed on existing web content??

Go to End

8 Posts   1357 Views

Maikenjh

Community Member, 5 Posts

24 September 2010 at 9:19am

I know absolutely nothing about coding and so on. A friend of mine has helped me get started and made me a SilverStribe installation of a template I showed him (it was not a Silverstribe installation, so I guess he did it manually). I filled in the template with text and pictures myself and it was extremely close to being done, when all of a sudden it crashed (the template is now missing). My friend told me it was because I used 1.5 gb on the host (even if I had only 1 gb available). He sounds very annoyed with me know, and I feel badly treated as I was not aware of how much space I had or that it could make i crash. Now he tells me, that he want total control and money to help me, or I can do it all myself. Offcourse I prefere that someone else helps me now...

Lukely I have a girlfriend that will meet with me a couple of hours next week - and she knows quite a bit about doing websites.

My questions is therefore: Can I still use all the text I have in Silverstribe and put a template on top of it? My girlfriend do not know Silverstribe, but do websites at her job. How can I best prepare for our meeting - what should I tell her about Silverstribe, that will enable her to help me best possible?

I am very greatfull for any answers.

Thanks from the danish girl
Maiken

ttyl

Community Member, 114 Posts

24 September 2010 at 9:57am

will your friend (the mean one) give you a copy of your files and database? if you have those you should be ok.

Maikenjh

24 September 2010 at 10:04am

I wrote all the text and uploaded all pictures, so this I have allready. Are you refering to anything else?

Maikenjh

24 September 2010 at 10:05am

I am currrently downloading SilverStribe - as this would probably be an advantage :o)

Maikenjh

24 September 2010 at 10:14am

The installation of Silverstripe is not as easy as I hoped for. I do not know what to state in the enclosed screenshot.

I do know the following though:
Host: UnoEuro

...but in regard to "physical path" and "IP adress" - what do I do here?

Maikenjh

24 September 2010 at 6:06pm

ttyl: I think I found an answer to your question.

I have all passwords and information linked to my hosting at UnoEuro, which includes an automatically generated MySQL database. I understand nothing when looking into the databases, but hopefully my girlfriend can use this information next week.

As the previously generated template seems to be lost, I would still like an answer on whether it is possible to place a SilverStripe template on top of already generated website content (sorry if this is a stupid question) :o)

Thanks Maiken

bummzack

Community Member, 904 Posts

24 September 2010 at 8:21pm

Yes, you can easily add/change the template of an existing SilverStripe installation.
You should probably consider creating a template that takes less space than 1.5 GB though :D

ttyl

Community Member, 114 Posts

28 September 2010 at 3:52am

if you already entered your content into one silverstripe installation you would need the old database once you make your new installation. otherwise, you'd have to re-enter everything in the new installation.