Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

DataObject::get_one(); doesn't work anymore (since Update to 2.4.2)

Go to End

15 Posts   2765 Views

oleze

Community Member, 65 Posts

9 October 2010 at 8:53am

I have a LatestNews function which shows the latest news on my startpage. That worked really well (since it's from the tutorial), but doesn't anymore. I looked in the database for my NewsHolder and it's there as it should. Does anyone have this error too?

function LatestNews($num=3) {
      $news = DataObject::get_one("NewsHolder");
      return ($news) ? DataObject::get("NewsPage", "ParentID = $news->ID", "Date DESC", "", $num) : false;
   }

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1798 Posts

9 October 2010 at 9:13am

I'd be surprised if DataObject::get_one did not work any more, maybe you could explain the error a bit more and provide details of how the function did operate, and how it does now to help.

oleze

9 October 2010 at 9:16am

Well before the update it worked as it supposed to be in http://doc.silverstripe.org/tutorial:2-extending-a-basic-site (Section: Showing the latest news on the homepage). But now, it doesn't show any news on my homepage.

swaiba

9 October 2010 at 9:43am

ok that function is not behaving as you expect, but I am telling you dataobject::get_one works and my guess is the function will work for you but there is likely something with your data that may have changed... for example recently when upgrading a site the ClassNames were randomly blanked in the site tree... see here... http://silverstripe.org/all-other-modules/show/285615#post285615... I'd guess it was that as your function also relies on dataobject::get page and the page data might be mangled...

have you verified all of your data and debugged (e.g. put Debug::show() all over the place) the data flowing through the function?

oleze

9 October 2010 at 10:25am

I tried

Debug::show(DataObject::get_one("NewsHolder"));

within my function but there is no output for that.

swaiba

9 October 2010 at 10:34am

Edited: 09/10/2010 10:37am

What does the data in the database look like? For that to work there needs to be

a) a row in 'NewsHolder'
b) a row in SiteTree & SiteTree_Live with matching id(s) to a with ClassNames present and correct
(assuming these are extensions of Page like in the tutorial)

is this true?

oleze

9 October 2010 at 10:42am

Well, the interesting thing is, that there is no table called "NewsHolder". There are tables for "NewsPage" (the children). Because of that, I thought that would be the problem, installed a clean version of 2.4.2 and added the code from the tutorial. In that new database of the test-version, there is also no table "ArticleHolder" ("NewsHolder") but the function works. Damn.

Within Sitetree and Sitetree_Live the IDs are okay.

swaiba

9 October 2010 at 10:51am

please post the newsholder code
but there is a row in sitree&live with newsholder in the classname?

Go to Top