Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Operations on variables

Go to End

12 Posts   1600 Views

BlueO

Community Member, 52 Posts

29 October 2010 at 10:05am

Hi All,

This seems like a really simple thing that I just can't get my head around. I have an object with a currency variable on it. I want to be able to divide that variable by 4 and create a new variable. The code I've tried is below. Help much appreciated.
The $Total variable comes from a many_many relationship managed by the dataobjectmanager.

class Flatmate_Controller extends Page_Controller {
function eaPayment($Total) {
   $num = 4;
   $ea = $Total/$num;
   return $ea;
   }
}

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

29 October 2010 at 12:31pm

How does this get called and what error do you get?

Invader_Zim

Community Member, 141 Posts

29 October 2010 at 12:36pm

Edited: 29/10/2010 12:37pm

Hi Blu0.

Are there any error messages?
Are you really,really sure that the variable $Total is of a type that can be divided? (z.B. an Integer...)

Cheers,
Christian

edit: yay, Hamish was faster...

BlueO

29 October 2010 at 9:43pm

Hey thanks guys,

I'm trying to 'call' (not sure if i'm using the term correctly) it on the template and have tried $ea, putting it under a <% control eaPayment %> but no luck. I don't get any error message - just no value appears on the template.

The variable is created here: static $db = array ('Total' => 'Currency',); Which stores numbers to two decimal places (eg 123.45) which I assume can be divided - I tried changing it to an 'Int' variable with no luck

Bernard

Invader_Zim

Community Member, 141 Posts

30 October 2010 at 12:41am

Well, try this one:

function eaPayment() {
$num = 4;
$total = $this->Total;
$ea = $total/$num;
return $ea;
}

And in your template:

<% if eaPayment %>
<p>$eaPayment</p>
<% end_if %>

This might hopefully work.
Cheers,
Christian

Hamish

30 October 2010 at 1:52pm

By the way - the method should exist on the model (Flatmate), not the controller (Flatmate_Controller). Also, if you add the following to the model, you'll get automagic casting too:

static $casting = array(
   'eaPayment' => 'Currency',
);

That is, you can do any of the following, depending on the type of output you want:

$eaPayment
$eaPayment.Nice
$eaPayment.Int

BlueO

2 November 2010 at 7:39pm

Ah, you guys are great! Thanks! That worked with a couple of tweaks. The eaPayment function needed to go on my Bill object and be called through <% control Bills %>.

As a learning exercise would someone be able tell me what this part

$total = $this->Total;

actually does. My understanding is that it creates a variable for the function from the 'Total' variable on the current object (being Flatmate in this instance). What i'm not really sure is what the '->' is actually doing.

Also the automagic casting doesn't seem to be going that well. $eaPayment.Nice just returns a blank. It would be awesome to get this going as i'm getting a few decimal places...

b

Hamish

2 November 2010 at 7:45pm

Your understanding is correct, you might want to read up on OO basics:

[url]http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.oop5.basic.php[/url]

Go to Top