Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Trying to get a file's URL but "Fatal error: Call to a member function"

4 Posts   860 Views

insomniacnz

Community Member, 3 Posts

21 November 2010 at 10:56pm

I'm a bit of a novice with PHP and silverstripe. I want to reference a file object's URL to pass it onto a form.

Relevant code snippets:

static $db = array(
"TermsAndConditions" => 'HTMLText'
);

static $has_one = array(
'TermsAndConditionsFile' => 'File'
);

And then in the controller:

function CreateForm() {
return new CreateForm($this, 'CreateForm', $this->TermsAndConditions, $this->TermsAndConditionsFile->getURL());
}

I know there is something fundamentally wrong with the '->getURL()' bit, how should I do this instead? Much appreciated if you can help!

insomniacnz

22 November 2010 at 4:53am

Phew..this seems to work.. but is it good practice to just append "ID" to a has_one array's name? I still don't quite understand but happy it works.

function CreateForm() {
return new CreateForm($this, 'CreateForm', $this->TermsAndConditions, $this->getTermsAndConditionsURL());
}

function getTermsAndConditionsURL() {
if ($tc = DataObject::get_by_id("File", "$this->TermsAndConditionsFileID"))
return $tc->URL;
else
return "";
}

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

23 November 2010 at 9:42pm

SS automatically adds a database column with ID on it so by calling $this->TermsAndConditionsFileID you are looking up the column in the database (which can be null), the problem with the orignal code ($this->TermsAndConditionsFile->getURL()) is that $this->TermsAndConditionsFile may return null and therefore getUrl() is undefined. You would have to check to see if $this->TermsAndConditionsFile() existed before calling getUrl.

insomniacnz

25 November 2010 at 4:50am

Edited: 25/11/2010 4:54am

Thanks Willr. If you have time, what is wrong with doing it this way, it comes up empty.

if ($tc = $this->TermsAndConditionsFile)
return $tc->URL;
else
return "";
}

EDIT: Ah hah! When I add a () when referencing the has_one array object it works! Didn't know that until i noticed it in your post :)

if ($tc = $this->TermsAndConditionsFile())
return $tc->URL;
else
return "";
}