Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Editing RedirectorPage.php - Bad Idea?

5 Posts   1127 Views

LinseyM

Community Member, 99 Posts

24 November 2010 at 9:12am

Hi all,

I would like the option on a redirector page to have a checkbox where the user can select whether or not the redirector should open in a new window, e.g. to go to an external blog without leaving the site behind.

I did look at code for "if is a redirector page / open in new tab", but that won't work as its only specific pages that I want to open in new window / tab.

I was considering adding a checkbox option in the RedirectorPage.php file, e.g.

$fields->addFieldToTab('Root.Content.Main', new CheckboxField('OpenInNewWindows), '');

...but I was worried that this was messing with the sapphire core, and therefore not a good idea.

Just looking for an expert opinion. thanks,

Linsey

LinseyM

24 November 2010 at 9:30am

along the same lines, would it be dodgy to add another few fields in the "site properties / config"? (you know the one at the top of the site tree where you have the site name, tagline and option to choose theme)

I'd like to have a text box where client can add their phone number & also one for address, as these are currently hard-coded into the template (at the base next to the legal info) and it would be nice for them to be able to change these themselves if need be - eg they are moving office next month)

This would involve me adding af few new lines of code to sapphire > core > model > SiteConfig.php
I know it works as I did try it on a test site, but I am worried about doing this on a live site as in case it might end up being catastrophic if we upgrade the site or something!

Thanks guys!

copernican

Community Member, 189 Posts

25 November 2010 at 5:02am

If you want to add extra fields to 'site properties/config' you can do this. in mysite/code create a new file called SiteConfigExtension.php

<?php
class SiteConfigExtension extends Extension {
static public function extraStatics() {
return array(
'db'=>array(
'PhoneNumber'=>'Text'
)
);
}

public function updateCMSFields(&$fields) {
$fields->addFieldToTab('Root.Main',new TextField('PhoneNumber','Phone Number'));
}
}
?>

Also in _config.php it's necessary to add the following

Object::add_extension('SiteConfig', 'SiteConfigExtension');

I believe a similar approach could be used for RedirectorPage.php. Create a RedirectorPageExtension.php file in mysite/code, add the field(s) you desire and add the Object:add_extension('RedirectorPage', 'RedirectorPageExtension') to _config.php.

LinseyM

25 November 2010 at 7:54am

excellent thanks - i will give it a try

LinseyM

30 November 2010 at 5:14am

Hi there,

Been trying to get this to work, but as soon as I add this line:

Object::add_extension('SiteConfig', 'SiteConfigExtension');

to my _config.php file and try to rebuild / load a page I am just getting a server 500 error.

Unfortunatly I cannot get any more details than that about the error. Was wondering if there could be something obvious causing the error? (Am using 2.4.3)

Thanks again :)