Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

How do I override a function in a decorator?

4 Posts   1512 Views

micahsheets

Community Member, 165 Posts

5 January 2011 at 11:08am

The function Children() is now in the decorator called "Hierarchy". I want to modify the way the Children() function works for RedirectorPage types. In the olden days I would just create my own Children() function in Page.php and be done. However now that doesn't work in 2.4.4 because I don't know how to override the Children() function in the decorator.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

6 January 2011 at 9:00pm

Perhaps just call your function MyChildren() and then use that in your template? Decorators are applied after everything else.

micahsheets

Community Member, 165 Posts

7 January 2011 at 8:54am

This question is bigger than this particular problem. More and more I am running into needing to modify behavior that I used to be able to just do in my Page Class but now those functions have been moved to decorators. So I really want to know how to subclass a decorator or even decorate a decorator.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

7 January 2011 at 7:00pm

So I really want to know how to subclass a decorator or even decorate a decorator.

You get into some pretty horrible territory with debugging extensions all over the place. I haven't needed to extend versioned etc that much before so don't know the correct way but you could try removing the extension from a class and applying your own which could subclass the existing extension.