Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

SilverStripe performance

Go to End

5 Posts   1450 Views

rayss

Community Member, 3 Posts

9 February 2011 at 11:31am

Hi,

Completely new to SS. We are about to engage web design company who have recommended SS in preference to Joomla. I'm happy to go with SS if we get the look and functionality we need. It's open source and that's a must have.

However, I did some Googling earlier and encountered posts where users were complaining about SS site performance, core devs. acknowledged the issues too.

The posts were from c.2009. Before we take the SS plunge I'd welcome any feedback on any perfomance issues in the current stable release.

Cheers! :)

Ryan M.

Community Member, 309 Posts

9 February 2011 at 12:01pm

Since these posts were in 2009, I bet these issues have already been fixed since. I also bet most of these complaints were made because people were trying to run SS on a shared server at a cheap hosting co.

There are several options for speeding up performance - caching, using static pages, setting memory limits, tweaking your server config, running it on a dedicated server, optimize and compress your markup, images & js, etc.

SS is very scalable so you could easily spread your app over a couple of servers and hook up a load balancer to them. There's also the option of offloading your content and database operations to a CDN or cloud service, such as AWS (Amazon Web Services), which would save server resources for the app itself.

rayss

9 February 2011 at 12:38pm

Thanks Ryan.

Is there anywhere that would confirm your assumptions that these issues have been fixed? I can't see anything useful like a release notes page that details improvements or new features.

I'm very concerned that we should have to consider 2 servers for a simple SS site. We get 300 - 500 visitors a day on weekdays. 2 servers would be overkill. Is SS *that* resource hungry?

Ryan M.

Community Member, 309 Posts

9 February 2011 at 1:42pm

Edited: 09/02/2011 1:43pm

Heck no it's not that resource hungry. I meant to say if you want to run massive sites on SS, that would be the way to do it. My network of websites get an average of 500-600 unique visitors a day with approx 7k pageviews a day as well, and that's per website, not all in total, and we are running six of these websites on the same dedicated server. Not even any performance issues yet!

You'll be just fine. Just at least enable caching and create a 'silverstripe-cache' in the application root folder.

P.S. here are the changelogs if you want to check out what was fixed in the releases: http://doc.silverstripe.org/sapphire/en/changelogs/2.4.5

rayss

9 February 2011 at 1:51pm

Thanks, I missed that page.

Relieved about the dual server set-up thing...

Cheers.