Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Multilanguage, sietemap.xml, Google Robots and Google site: index

Go to End

3 Posts   3367 Views

snaip

Community Member, 181 Posts

21 February 2011 at 12:28am

hi !

there is a big big problem

i have site with many language pl,en,it,de,jp and more...

for each site i set the sitemap.xml in CMS and there are corrent in preview www.domain.en/sitemap.xml, www.domain.it/sitemap.xml etc.

but
there is a somenthing strange
when i put in the google for example site:my_italian_domain the results including sites from english, polish, german etc (all) versions !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

how to solved it ?

lerni

Community Member, 81 Posts

21 February 2011 at 6:27am

hi sanip

I'm not too much of a google expert so probable this is not the answer you're looking for. Anyway what is wrong with the behavior you're describing?

Did you use translatable or did you just set up separate tld's for each language with its own instance of silverstripe?

I'm interested how simemap should work with multiple languages (translatable) but have not found anything on http://www.sitemaps.org/. The current Implementation just shows the default Language in sitemap.xml. The only way I see is the approach with “Sitemap index files” for each language but this seems not a official way to do it.
http://www.threebit.com/blog/seo/sitemaps-and-multilingual-websites.html

I just found “news-sitemaps” with a language parameter.
http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=93992

With Translatable enabled usually you do have the lang specified in meta and you'll have links on the page to all the other languages with a hreflang parameter, so all the translated pages should get picked-up. Are there smarter ways to submit sites with multilingual content to google?

snaip

Community Member, 181 Posts

21 February 2011 at 8:24am

in config file i have

Object::add_extension('SiteTree', 'Translatable');

// Set the site locale
i18n::set_locale('pl_PL');           

$url = $_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'].$_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'];

if($url == '$polish_domain/') { Translatable::set_default_locale("pl_PL"); }
elseif($url == '$english_domain/') { Translatable::set_default_locale("en_US"); }
elseif($url == '$italy_domain/') { Translatable::set_default_locale("it_IT"); }
elseif($url == '$spain_domain/') { Translatable::set_default_locale("es_ES"); }

in CMS i create each transaltion
for each page i set Page Prioryty in the Google Sitemap Module

each domain has own sitemap.xml with rules only just for this domain
so everything is well

and now

Google Robots when it comes to the site (domain) it is searching for the links on this page, when he found one he goes through this link and again looking for the links on the next page

in my site i have languages menu
when google robots is coming from domain_A and find the link to domain_B he should now collects links from domain_B to this domain
(sorry my english is poor;)

but he doesn't work in this way
he is coming from domain_A , going to all other domains by languages manu and collects links from each language to domain_A

i dont set lang in meta tags