Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Pros and cons Silverstripe

Go to End

10 Posts   6231 Views

Brand

Community Member, 8 Posts

12 March 2011 at 2:52pm

I am impressed and very positive about Silverstripe. But i have to convince a lot of other people. And that's why I have the following questions:

1. You can't forecast the future, but what how stable is the Developer community? Is it a product to stay? And why?
2. a) How easy shall Silverstripe integrate with systems like MOODLE, OS COMMERCE etcetera?
b) How easy shall Silverstripe integrate with other online platforms like LinkedIn, Facebook, Delicious etcetera?

Is there a opportunitie to use modules from Drupal? For example I am looking for a newsletter module with campagne option. I believe there is none for Silverstripe (yet). Can I use the one from Drupal? Or other GPL sourches?

I hope you can give me some input so i can survive (and win?) the disscussion so also my coworkers shall pick Silverstripe.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

12 March 2011 at 5:47pm

Good to hear you've impressed so far!

1. You can't forecast the future, but what how stable is the Developer community? Is it a product to stay? And why?

The open source project (SilverStripe, sapphire and the 'core' modules) are maintained by SilverStripe Ltd (http://silverstripe.com/) which has been around for nearly 11 years now and has nearly 50 staff in NZ and Australia. On top of the official company the software is supported by countless partners all over the world - http://silverstripe.com/partners/. So it's not going to disappear any time soon.

a) How easy shall Silverstripe integrate with systems like MOODLE, OS COMMERCE etcetera?

Depends on your level of integration. If you want to have a unifed admin panel you *could* do it but there is quite a bit of work involved. If you want to run things alongside one another that is trivial. SS even exposes a Restful API for you if you need to include pages and menus on other sites from SS.

b) How easy shall Silverstripe integrate with other online platforms like LinkedIn, Facebook, Delicious etcetera?

Quite simple. I personally have got facebook connect working within SS (just the javascript API for now) https://github.com/willrossi/silverstripe-facebookconnect. Haven't tried those other ones but if there is a PHP library to connect with them, odds are you can get that working with SS.

Brand

12 March 2011 at 6:15pm

Dear Willr,

Thanks for your quick response. I think to believe i can manage the discussion with your input. One other important thing is the newsletter module with campagne. I know there are a view, like from Drupal. How easily can i import those? Is there a possibility SS will be able to use modules from other platforms like Drupal or WP?

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

12 March 2011 at 6:20pm

Is there a possibility SS will be able to use modules from other platforms like Drupal or WP

No, all 3 systems are very distinct.

One other important thing is the newsletter module with campagne

There is a simple newsletter module available. If you need anything more advanced I recommend using MailChimp or a proper service like that.

I know there are a view, like from Drupal. How easily can i import those

You can import the HTML, CSS and javascript but the template languages are very different. You would need to replace and rebuild most of your Drupal theme with SS controls.

Brand

12 March 2011 at 10:36pm

Thanks a lot! I will look into it.

Bruce B

Community Member, 164 Posts

14 March 2011 at 1:24pm

I have just had to go in the reverse direction - a new client wants me to manage a Drupal site.

As a Silverstripe developer, I'm now learning the meaning of the phrase "Drupal-pattern baldness". Silverstripe's clean separation of code, HTML design and client admin interface is wonderful by comparison.

monkee

Community Member, 22 Posts

31 March 2011 at 10:43am

Edited: 31/03/2011 10:44am

Unfortuanetly the Newsletter Module is broken in combination with Silverstripe 2.4.5

So using an external Service is needed right now.

Sad, i liked the simple newsletter module

monkee

Community Member, 22 Posts

31 March 2011 at 10:57am

Actually the unstable branch DOES work with 2.4.5!

Go to Top