I'd just like to find out what setup people are using for SilverStripe site, theme, template, extension development please?
The way I have things setup at the moment doesn't seem to be optimal or clean, so I was looking for suggestions to improve. (My IDE of choice is Netbeans. I'm running MAMP.)
My current initial setup procedure is:
- I copy SilverStripe install files into my local web-server public_html folder
- Start up and configure SilverStripe and the MySQL DB (through phyMyAdmin)
- Once configured, I copy all files from the newly configured SilverStripe install from my web-server to my...
- working source controlled development folder
- I create a new Netbeans project (with existing sources in this development folder)
My development workflow is:
- Edit code, modify, save, Run/Debug
- The Netbeans project is configured to copy all files across to the web-server on each run/debug (I'm nervous about this because any changes to files (eg. _config.php) made by SilverStripe in the live install will be overwritten)
- Once content has been entered, I save a MySQL dump back into my development folder to be source controlled.
Some of the issues I'm a little uncomfortable with are:
- After SilverStripe is configured initially and I copy configured files across to the development directory, there is a possibility of missing some files like I did (some hidden files - .htaccess - didn't make the journey... as I found out the hard way initially)
- Potential for changed files in live SilverStripe install (web-server) to get overwritten when the IDE copies files from development folder across on a Run/Debug
So - any suggestions to improve my setup please? How do you work? What's your setup?
Thanks very much.