Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Warning: Director::protocolAndHost() lacks sufficient information - HTTP_HOST not set

Go to End

10 Posts   9379 Views

Joril

Community Member, 5 Posts

28 March 2011 at 9:11pm

Hi everyone!
Our company site is built with Silverstripe 2.4.4 and we are very happy with it, but we're having a small problem... Sometimes we are "visited" by some script/bot that (I think) scans the 'net looking for buffer overflows, and every time this results in 10 warning e-mails being sent to the site admin. Every mail has subject "Warning: Director::protocolAndHost() lacks sufficient information - HTTP_HOST not set."
I tried adding to mysite/_config.php the following:

global $_FILE_TO_URL_MAPPING;
$_FILE_TO_URL_MAPPING['/var/www/cms'] = 'http://our.site.com';

but the problem is still there... Any hint?

Joril

15 April 2011 at 7:20pm

I ended up adding a mod_security rule to Apache:

SecRule REQUEST_METHOD "!^(?:GET|HEAD|OPTIONS|POST|CONNECT)$"

slith

Community Member, 7 Posts

23 August 2011 at 10:17am

i fixed the problem by setting register_globals = On in php.ini

Joril

29 August 2011 at 6:57pm

Sadly that command is deprecated (http://php.net/manual/en/security.globals.php) and can cause security problems :/

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1391 Posts

31 August 2011 at 1:21am

Edited: 31/08/2011 1:21am

Looking at the protocolAndHost() function, it seems that it doesn't use the HTTP_HOST var if an $alternateBaseURL is given. So you can set the website root from mysite/_config.php?

Director::setBaseURL('http://our.site.com/');

As long as it's a 'simple' site that has the one root, it stills seems to work fine... So I don't know if there's anything against using this, apart from obvious issues on moving the site?

Joril

31 August 2011 at 1:42am

I'll try that, thank you :)

Tama

Community Member, 138 Posts

2 July 2015 at 8:25am

I've run into this error as well and it's doing my head in.

When trying to view pages in the CMS I get the following error in silverstripe.log:

[02-Jul-2015 04:48:35] Warning at framework/control/Director.php line 473: Director::protocolAndHost() lacks sufficient information - HTTP_HOST not set.

So I had a look at the code in question:

if(isset($_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'])) {
			return Director::protocol() . $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'];
		} else {
			global $_FILE_TO_URL_MAPPING;
			if(Director::is_cli() && isset($_FILE_TO_URL_MAPPING)) $errorSuggestion = '  You probably want to define '.
				'an entry in $_FILE_TO_URL_MAPPING that covers "' . Director::baseFolder() . '"';
			else if(Director::is_cli()) $errorSuggestion = '  You probably want to define $_FILE_TO_URL_MAPPING in '.
				'your _ss_environment.php as instructed on the "sake" page of the doc.silverstripe.com wiki';
			else $errorSuggestion = "";

user_error("Director::protocolAndHost() lacks sufficient information - HTTP_HOST not set."
				. $errorSuggestion, E_USER_WARNING);
			return false;

}

The issue seems to be that the code can't read HTTP_HOST. However if I setup a simple flat PHP file like this:

<?php
echo $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']."<hr/>";

if(isset($_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'])) {
  echo "true";
} else {
  echo "false";			
}

It returns:

www.mysite.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
true

Which seems to mean that HTTP_HOST is available outside of Silverstripe, but not inside.

Any ideas what's going on?

Pyromanik

Community Member, 419 Posts

3 July 2015 at 10:45am

Using Apache?
Could be something to do with rewrite or some other .htaccess directive.

Probably not, just pointing out places to start looking tho.

Go to Top