Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

[solved] server error when trying to copy database

7 Posts   1553 Views

marcink

Community Member, 89 Posts

30 March 2011 at 11:10pm

hi,

when i try to copy my db from localhost to my hosted site, i get this server error:

Server error

Sorry, there was a problem with handling your request.

i checked the _config and the dbhost, pw/login, db name etc. were all changed to match the ones on the new db.

any help?

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1805 Posts

31 March 2011 at 5:27am

could read the faq for some debugging methods and that may shed some light on it...
http://www.silverstripe.org/general-questions/show/16055

marcink

31 March 2011 at 7:29am

Edited: 31/03/2011 7:30am

so it was the infamous mysql table names: CamelCase vs. lowercase...

just to reiterate again:
on windows, mysql's tablenames are all lowercase. when copying the database to a ss installation on a linux server, where the table names are CamelCase, very bad things happen. :)

i think this should be at least addressed more broadly by the ss team. i spend hours to debug...

simon_w

Forum Moderator, 474 Posts

31 March 2011 at 9:17am

Running dev/build does rename tables to the right case.

marcink

31 March 2011 at 9:44pm

not with me.
of course, after copying the db dev/build was the first thing i did... even before trying to view the site... :)

btw: how would ss know how to rename the tables?? from lowercase to CamelCase?

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1805 Posts

31 March 2011 at 9:57pm

well it does have this hidden away in the docs... http://doc.silverstripe.org/sapphire/en/installation/windows-wamp... that mentions...

"Left-click the gauge, then select MySQL -> my.ini. At the very bottom of the file, and add the following to a new line (without the quotes): "lower_case_table_names = 2". Save the file, close Notepad and left-click the gauge, and selected 'Restart all services'. This is used to ease the transition between a Windows-based install and a Linux-based install where case-sensitivity is important."

maybe it could detect windows and make this a requirement during install?

marcink

31 March 2011 at 10:06pm

yeah, i found it as well after searching the forum (after i identified the problem).
and after changing it, it had no effect.

now, after a second thought - of course - it can only work when you create the db after the change... stupid me... :D