Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Not able to upload image files

5 Posts   1631 Views

dbc

Community Member, 7 Posts

4 April 2011 at 2:31pm

I'm a recent convert to using SS and I've been very impressed with how fast I have been able to port over an old site and get it functional while using XAMPP. However, I have encountered an issue that I am currently unable to resolve, though I have found a possible workaround solution.

I set up a development site for experimentation, and installation has been a success. I am however, unable to upload any image files, as the system reports an error, stating "File is not a valid upload" and "There is nothing to upload". As a temporary workaround, I've already read about the "Look for new files" function, and I intend to test this by uploading the images via FTP, but I would like to resolve this issue nevertheless.

I've read another thread on this forum dated 2 months prior that seems to solve the issue, but the resolution involves a patch file that looks like it was made by a 3rd party, and I am notoriously sticky about being able to trust stuff that I download. Aside from this, my own webhost has several security restrictions in place which I have already modified to allow SS to do its work.

Any suggestions/advice?

dendeffe

Community Member, 135 Posts

5 April 2011 at 9:12pm

Edited: 05/04/2011 9:12pm

It might be this problem? http://open.silverstripe.org/ticket/6321

Should be fixed in 2.4.5, though.

dbc

6 April 2011 at 2:13pm

That's odd. My image files don't have upper case letters in the file extension. Also, I am using 2.4.5 currently.

I've managed to work around the issue by taking advantage of the "Look for New Files" function, but it's a bit troublesome to do so. I'd much rather find a way to enable file uploads within the system than work around it.

JonoM

Community Member, 103 Posts

6 April 2011 at 3:52pm

Maybe something to do with permissions? See http://silverstripe.org/archive/show/1308

If you can edit permissions from your FTP client try changing permissions for the assets folder to '777' and make it recursive so it applies that to all folders/files inside the assets folder.

dbc

6 April 2011 at 4:15pm

Changing permissions will not be an issue as I can do it using SSH. However, I understand that making such a change may make the system highly insecure. Is this a SS requirement (having the asset folder with full read/write permissions) and how will this affect the security of the rest of the site?