Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Best practice: translatable DataObjects

Go to End

Blackboard

Community Member, 1 Post

28 April 2011 at 10:13pm

Hi!

I've been testing the translatable module lately, and looking for a way to handle large amount of dataObjects, and beeing able to make a translation of every dataObject in e.g. an DataObjectManager list. The way the extension works, it only gives the dataObject an additional textfield where locale has to be written manually. I don't think this is a good idea, telling an average admin to handle large datasets this way, as there is no relation to other languages. Is there a way to extend the translatable functionality to dataObjects, giving every dataObject the translate-tab. This way admin can easily see if this dataObject has been translated into other languages, and do so if needed.

How does large sites handle dataobject in different languages? Do I really need to have duplicates of lets say every document in an dataObjectMangager in both/all languages? I know the files exists, but do I really need to create a whole new dataObject having no relation to the default locale?

Hope someone have experienced similar challanges, and found a good solution.