Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Where on this scale would you place SilverStripe?

Go to End

4 Posts   1633 Views

mattupstate

Community Member, 12 Posts

29 April 2011 at 10:45am

Odopod built iwc.com using Django and wrote a nice piece about how they came to using it. In the blog post there is the following image

And I'm curious as to where on the scale SilverStripe would fall. Thanks!

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

30 April 2011 at 1:27am

I think that scale is a little misleading (well in my opinion) I think reading their article suggested better labels - User Focused -> Developer Focused.

For me SilverStripe would sit roughly around the Django position. The framework is there and you can build rather complex apps within it (3.0 the framework will run independent of the CMS) but there is a lot of helpers for developers, even some which has been 'inspired' by Django itself, such as model admin and some of the form scaffolding.

mattupstate

Community Member, 12 Posts

30 April 2011 at 1:49am

Thanks for the response. After more exploration yesterday I was leaning towards the same conclusion as yours. I'm quite impressed with SilverStripe so far. Is there a timeline for the 3.0 release?

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

30 April 2011 at 3:45pm

The roadmap and timeline for 3.0 is up on open - http://open.silverstripe.org/roadmap. The core team don't try and put dates on anything too far ahead in the future (as we're pretty hopeless at keeping to deadlines!) but you can see relatively how it's coming along.