Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Making changes to .ss in theme/templates + flush = layout disappears

Go to End

4 Posts   4033 Views

Mast4as

Community Member, 9 Posts

5 May 2011 at 8:32am

Edited: 08/05/2011 6:01am

Hi everyone

I am in a tricky situation. I don't know much about Silver Stripe and started digging into some files. I changed a couple of .ss in themes and played around with a php file in mysite. Things were fine but a few hours later when I reloaded the website the layout was all messed up.
I had to copy the silverstripe-cache over to get things back to normal. But today again the website layout went wrong. In the meantime I read on this forum that you needed to flush the cache when you were doing changes to the files in mysite. So I tried different things today:
- played with www.awebsite.com/admin/dev/build?flush=all
and flush=1 on individual pages and got a bunch of errors:

////

Notice: Undefined index: SSViewer in /data/13/1/1/160/1327812/user/1422783/htdocs/sapphire/core/ManifestBuilder.php on line 459

Warning: There are two files both containing the same class: '/data/13/1/1/160/1327812/user/1422783/htdocs/sapphire/core/#SSViewer.php' and ''. This might mean that the wrong code is being used. in/data/13/1/1/160/1327812/user/1422783/htdocs/sapphire/core/ManifestBuilder.php on line 461

Notice: Undefined index: SSViewer_FromString in /data/13/1/1/160/1327812/user/1422783/htdocs/sapphire/core/ManifestBuilder.php on line 459

Warning: There are two files both containing the same class: '/data/13/1/1/160/1327812/user/1422783/htdocs/sapphire/core/#SSViewer.php' and ''. This might mean that the wrong code is being used. in/data/13/1/1/160/1327812/user/1422783/htdocs/sapphire/core/ManifestBuilder.php on line 461

Notice: Undefined index: SSViewer_PartialParser in /data/13/1/1/160/1327812/user/1422783/htdocs/sapphire/core/ManifestBuilder.php on line 459

Notice: Undefined index: SSViewer_Cached_PartialParser in /data/13/1/1/160/1327812/user/1422783/htdocs/sapphire/core/ManifestBuilder.php on line 459

////

I removed the #SSView file and I tried the dev/build again and got the following message

The action 'dev' does not exist in class CMSMain

But even if I roll back to an older version that used to work (before I made changes to the ss file in template) and do a flush after that, the layout ends up messed up right way. Why isn't flush working in my case ?

This is so frustrating because I just don't know what I am doing, why I need to do that and why I get these error messages. And I really want to get my site back on track and be able to make small changes to the layout. Right now I rolled back to an old version of the website.

I hope I gave you guys enough info to help me out. I must say that at the end the layout is messed up even if I only change .ss files in the themes/MYTHEME/template directory. I even haven't changed the php files in the directory mysite.

If I could get some help from one of you would be GREATLY appreciated. Really it would help me to sleep better... ;-)

Thanks a lot for your your help -ma

Mast4as

8 May 2011 at 6:03am

Can't anyone help me with this please ? Does anyone have an idea of what that could be ? I still have this problem and the website loses it layout once in a while. I have to copy the backup over. Somehow it seems also related to the .htaccess file. If I rename this file and rename it back, it causes the layout to disappear ? I would really appreciate some help on this.. thanks a lot

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1391 Posts

8 May 2011 at 6:47am

Edited: 08/05/2011 6:52am

Couple of things you need to know:

1. If you make changes to a template file, you need to refresh the SilverStripe cache, adding ?flush=1 to the url. If you don't do this, SilverStripe will keep using the old cached version. Best practice: do this after every (minor) template change, preferrably from a page that uses the template.

2. If you make changes to php class files, adding/removing/changing datbase fields, you need to /dev/build/?flush=1. This makes SilverStripe update the database to accommodate field changes.

3. Create a directory 'silverstripe-cache' in your website root and make it writable. SilverStripe will use it to store the cache, instead of in the server's default tmp dir. I guess you did this, but copying back the cache is only a temporary fix...

4. Most of the time, if you get a white screen after some change, there is an error in your code/template somewhere. Set SilverStripe into developer mode to display debug info. In your mysite/_config.php put: Director::set_environment_type("dev"); If this doesn't work, check logfiles if you have access.

Mast4as

8 May 2011 at 9:40pm

Thank you so much. This is very clear and useful. I know it takes time to answer, so I really appreciate this. I will give it a try even though it seems that I have tried these steps already. But I will try again and try to understand the process better.
A thousand thanks -ma