Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

LimitWordCount strips out html?

2 Posts   1026 Views

Ryan M.

Community Member, 309 Posts

11 May 2011 at 8:52am

I found that using LimitWordCount on a HTMLText field, such as: $Content.LimitWordCount(20) tends to strip out any html elements within and the result is:

<dd>Check out this review from
CraveOnline[http://www.craveonline.com/film/articles/167047-thats-what-i-am-review]
for my latest film, THAT'S WHAT I AM. Opens in limited
release on April 29, 2011 and...</dd>

Is there any other HTML-friendly method I can use instead, or is there a work-around for this?

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1799 Posts

11 May 2011 at 9:48pm

Edited: 11/05/2011 9:48pm

it doesn't seem to, it does - in order to count the number of words it removes the html code. It's not very straight forward I did write out some pseudo code but due to not being able to see my previous posts I cannot find it. The main concern is if you have a html like this...

<table><tbody><tr><td>This is more than five words right here</td></tr></tbody></table>

And then you get the first 5 words... it could damage the structure of your HTML displayed ont eh page very badly. Still very intrested in a solution... if there is one...