Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Paid for Modules

Go to End

4 Posts   1213 Views

meganub

Community Member, 15 Posts

24 May 2011 at 2:03am

Just a general query this one. Do paid for modules exist for Silverstripe at all? Googling doesn't appear to turn up any.

Would developers consider purchasing a module rather then using a free alternative? Assuming that the purchased version gave added benefits and was more professionally produced then free alternatives of course. I'm thinking bug fixes, support and upgrades etc.

Other modern CMSes, such as Concrete5 and Expression Engine have relatively healthy developer eco-systems for paid functionality, so I was wondering if it was a concious decision on the part of the SilverStripe community to not have something similar?

Cheers!

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

24 May 2011 at 2:52am

You could ask http://www.silverstripeclub.com/ how they are getting on...

From my perspective - I'd buy them if they matched (or would be customized to) my exact requirements. and maybe with the focus here on BSD license (apart from the help... booo...) makes it a different case, or maybe becasue silverstripe is a relative new-comer?

meganub

Community Member, 15 Posts

24 May 2011 at 3:15am

Heh - judging by that link, not very well. :)

BSD shouldn't prevent you from releasing plugins that are chargeable. I don't think anyway...

Thanks for the feedback though swaiba.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

25 May 2011 at 5:54pm

The BSD license is super flexible in this regard. As long as you don't claim your work has anything to do with SilverStripe Ltd, you can do as you wish.

Other modern CMSes, such as Concrete5 and Expression Engine have relatively healthy developer eco-systems for paid functionality, so I was wondering if it was a concious decision on the part of the SilverStripe community to not have something similar?

The idea of paid modules I believe is simply down to the business case. I personally used to be a Wordpress developer (mostly themes) and I could easily get ~100 downloads of a paid theme ($10) in a month without any marketing. With SS I'm not sure it has the market size for that sort of work to sell but it's getting there.

Would developers consider purchasing a module rather then using a free alternative? Assuming that the purchased version gave added benefits and was more professionally produced then free alternatives of course. I'm thinking bug fixes, support and upgrades etc.

It all depends on the quality of the modules, support and how well thought out the functionality is for whether it would be worth purchasing. Some module types such as ecommerce and events I feel would be suited to be paid modules due to the complexity, but recently releases have both been open sourced which is great.