Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Silverstripe trailing slashes breaks login

3 Posts   796 Views

Midnightraven

Community Member, 2 Posts

2 June 2011 at 6:16am

Hi, I've been asked to updated the .htaccess file on a website to always add trailing slashes onto the URLs, e.g.
"www.xyz.co.uk/news" -> "www.xyz.co.uk/news/"

I added this code to my htaccess file on the apache web server:

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !(.*)/$
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.xyz.co.uk/$1/ [L,R=301]

This is working really well, except that with these rules, when I attempt to login to Silverstripe "www.xyz.com/admin", when I input my (correct) user name & password, Silverstripe responds with "That doesn't seem to be the right e-mail address or password. Please try again".

I am having trouble identifying where the login is getting disrupted. I would be grateful for any advice on an additional rule/tweak that would allow the admin login to function correctly.
Regards,
AndyH.

simon_w

Forum Moderator, 474 Posts

2 June 2011 at 8:36am

Your RewriteRule will include POST requests, so submitting the login form to /Security/LoginForm will get redirected to /Security/LoginForm/ and turned into a GET. You should add a condition to your rule so that it excludes POST requests.

Midnightraven

Community Member, 2 Posts

3 June 2011 at 4:04am

Ahh, I see. Thank you, I understand the logic of the login process better now.

For other peoples reference, these are the updated htaccess rules:
RewriteCond %{THE_REQUEST} !^POST
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !(.*)/$
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.xyz.co.uk/$1/ [L,R=301]

Thanks.