Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

How to create multilingual site?

Go to End

4 Posts   2733 Views

MitraX

Community Member, 20 Posts

8 July 2011 at 7:56pm

Edited: 08/07/2011 8:45pm

There are more than 1000 search results for multi-lingual site but neither of them actually explain how to create the whole site in more than one languages.

I read tutorials related to i18n and translatable and tried several different ways but neither of them was completely successful - every time there was something that could not be translated or in the worst case I had to create new page and data types for every language.

One more issue is that Translatable will be removed from core SilverStripe v3! I know that it will exist as a module, but really great and modern CMS such as SS without core translation support... well, I can't imagine that. Please consider that it is one of the main requests from clients, especially in Europe and non-English spoken countries and there is a need having site in at least one foreign language.

So, my question is:
- What is the official way to create and handle site in several different languages (that assumes that every part of the site could be translated, even DataObjects)?

Thank you

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

8 July 2011 at 8:45pm

Hi MitraX,

This might help...
http://www.ssbits.com/tutorials/2011/using-translatable-to-create-a-simple-multilingual-site/

Also it's all in the book, also read to the end of the comments... for translated widgets too!

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

10 July 2011 at 4:37pm

Edited: 10/07/2011 4:39pm

One more issue is that Translatable will be removed from core SilverStripe v3! I know that it will exist as a module, but really great and modern CMS such as SS without core translation support... well, I can't imagine that.

By moving it to a module we actually plan on supporting it more. By removing it from core we can keep that light and quick for people who only use one languahe, but have developers focused on supporting the module, extending it. Also we've found by separating it out, it makes it easier for people to contribute to and we can release new versions of the module outside of releasing a whole new SS version.

Please note that the module is only for Translatable and not i18n - i18n will still be backed into the core.

MitraX

Community Member, 20 Posts

12 July 2011 at 1:13am

Guys, thank you for the replies.

I am going to experiment following the ssbits tutorial and maybe buy the book.

If I have any question I will be free to ask ;)