Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Enum and numbers

Go to End

5 Posts   2004 Views

Tuckie

Community Member, 10 Posts

23 July 2011 at 1:24am

Edited: 23/07/2011 1:25am

I'm currently building a dropdown list based on the enum:
'Duration' => "Enum('1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10',5)"

It seems to be working fine on the form using:
$this->dbObject('Duration')->enumValues())

The only weird behavior, is every time I do a dev/build, it attempts to redefine the field with:
Field PromotionBanner.Duration: changed to enum('1','2','3','4','5','6','7','8','9','10') character set utf8 collate utf8_general_ci default '5' (from enum('1','2','3','4','5','6','7','8','9','10') character set utf8 collate utf8_general_ci default 5)

I've also tried:
'Duration' => "Enum('1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10','5')"
and got the same behavior.

Edit: taking out the default value completely results in:
Field PromotionBanner.Duration: changed to enum('1','2','3','4','5','6','7','8','9','10') character set utf8 collate utf8_general_ci default '1' (from enum('1','2','3','4','5','6','7','8','9','10') character set utf8 collate utf8_general_ci default 1)

every dev/build also.

It seems mysql is interpreting the default as an integer instead of a string upon assignment.

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1391 Posts

23 July 2011 at 4:06am

besides from it being weird that it is redefined every time to exactly the same format as it was before - is it harming your site/content at all?

I've also seen this happen with enum fields, but it didn't damage or change anything, as I recall. Probably some gltch in SilverStripe checking the enum fieldformat?

johnmblack

Community Member, 62 Posts

31 August 2011 at 5:44am

Same thing here. Doesn't seem to harm content, but I'm OCD about code and process neatness and it's driving me crazy. :-)

But seriously, any unnecessary writes to DB structure should be avoided, as a matter of principle, so I would really like to figure this out.

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1391 Posts

31 August 2011 at 7:57am

@johnmblack: I got it as far as sapphire/core/model/Database.php, somewhere around line 321:

if(substr($spec, 0, 4) == "enum") { ...     

That's where some special enum handling seems to be going on, checking if the field has changed before altering the table. So maybe you want to take it from there? :-)

socks

Community Member, 191 Posts

19 November 2011 at 10:17am

I couldn't find a fix either, so I changed mine to: "one, two, three"