Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

a place for modules/widgets

Go to End

13 Posts   1016 Views

DesignerX.com.au

Community Member, 107 Posts

28 July 2011 at 3:51am

hi,
i found with this CMS that modules has to be installed on the root folder?! ..
is there a way to make a folder for modules EG: /modules/ , & place all my modules in it, it really makes it harder to work on a messy root folder & much harder for newbies to this CMS "like me" to locate the core files.

also like to say, i like how this CMS is running so far, I am studding graphic & web design , i like to support this Project. As soon as i have more time ( few weeks more) , i will be free to do more work here :)

Thank you

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1805 Posts

28 July 2011 at 3:58am

yeah it's one that has been raised and is being improved for SS3...

here is some info - http://open.silverstripe.org/wiki/development/ModuleManager

DesignerX.com.au

28 July 2011 at 5:11pm

ty, so will this damage some modules. When i was installing a module " user form maser !" it asked for the folder name to be userform & it did not work under a different folder name. SO, will this module have problems later if the directory is being changed..

swaiba

28 July 2011 at 6:28pm

often the modules hardcode the folder they are in to access requirements like javascript and css. I have intergrated several (small) modules into my "mysite" to make things easy to install and keep the root folder clean.

I do the following...
1)move the module to a subfolder
2)update all references to it's folder
3)move all _config stuff to the "mysite" config

DesignerX.com.au

28 July 2011 at 8:32pm

nice workaround :)

now, i am still testing this CMS, have it on my Localhost & using SQLite ,

You seem know more then me about this CMS, Can i ask you for help :

- Is sapphire "frame work" stable ?
i am willing to give my time to this CMS & learn it, but Unstaible frame work means lots of changes later & more time wasted to catch up with updates.

- are you good at creating modules. :
- yet, i have not found a good gallery Module, do know of a good one you can link me to?

Thank you :)

swaiba

28 July 2011 at 8:39pm

Is sapphire "frame work" stable ?

yes - most definitely. and this normally persuades clients http://silverstripe.org/silverstripe-cms-the-first-ever-open-source-web-app-to-become-microsoft-certified/

i have not found a good gallery Module, do know of a good one you can link me to?
i think i cover that here - http://silverstripe.org/customising-the-cms/show/14727

I avoid using the image gallery module by UncleCheese because I think it relies on DOM and Uploadify, when it's a quick job to create a custom one for each client (and each client normally has enough "custom" requirements for their gallery that it makes sense to start of with custom. I do use uploadify with each install, but due to the size (number of source files) this I still keep as a root level module.

One other thing to note is that it does make updates harder when a module is integrated into the mysite - so I only integrate small modules that I could maintain myself.

DesignerX.com.au

28 July 2011 at 8:55pm

this is great :)
as i study Graphic & Web design ( soon, in 6 month my focus will be back at Web design ) , I alwasy searched for something good, But SilverStripe sounds TOO GOOD :) ... i like it

Now i am just learning the coding pattern & its way too easy ... Plain English to design complicated layout .

The only thing i am w8ing for here is SilverStripe3 , i will really need the "module management" options to be part of the CMS , after that, i will be working to provide Themes & Modules to this project.

One more thing, with the "user account" on this forum, it will be nice to have a section with a list of my last posts & a section for topics i have started, easy way to keep track of "my self" :) ? How can i get this message to the developers ?

Again, TY soo much

swaiba

28 July 2011 at 9:07pm

it will be nice to have a section with a list of my last posts & a section for topics i have started

I've requested this as often (see my last post) I reference things I've already said. I deal with this by searching in google, not the forum and also by subscribing to a topic I have a list of the threads labelled up in my email account.

Go to Top