Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

a place for modules/widgets

Go to End

13 Posts   1615 Views

DesignerX.com.au

Community Member, 107 Posts

28 July 2011 at 3:51am

hi,
i found with this CMS that modules has to be installed on the root folder?! ..
is there a way to make a folder for modules EG: /modules/ , & place all my modules in it, it really makes it harder to work on a messy root folder & much harder for newbies to this CMS "like me" to locate the core files.

also like to say, i like how this CMS is running so far, I am studding graphic & web design , i like to support this Project. As soon as i have more time ( few weeks more) , i will be free to do more work here :)

Thank you

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

28 July 2011 at 3:58am

yeah it's one that has been raised and is being improved for SS3...

here is some info - http://open.silverstripe.org/wiki/development/ModuleManager

DesignerX.com.au

28 July 2011 at 5:11pm

ty, so will this damage some modules. When i was installing a module " user form maser !" it asked for the folder name to be userform & it did not work under a different folder name. SO, will this module have problems later if the directory is being changed..

swaiba

28 July 2011 at 6:28pm

often the modules hardcode the folder they are in to access requirements like javascript and css. I have intergrated several (small) modules into my "mysite" to make things easy to install and keep the root folder clean.

I do the following...
1)move the module to a subfolder
2)update all references to it's folder
3)move all _config stuff to the "mysite" config

DesignerX.com.au

28 July 2011 at 8:32pm

nice workaround :)

now, i am still testing this CMS, have it on my Localhost & using SQLite ,

You seem know more then me about this CMS, Can i ask you for help :

- Is sapphire "frame work" stable ?
i am willing to give my time to this CMS & learn it, but Unstaible frame work means lots of changes later & more time wasted to catch up with updates.

- are you good at creating modules. :
- yet, i have not found a good gallery Module, do know of a good one you can link me to?

Thank you :)

swaiba

28 July 2011 at 8:39pm

Is sapphire "frame work" stable ?

yes - most definitely. and this normally persuades clients http://silverstripe.org/silverstripe-cms-the-first-ever-open-source-web-app-to-become-microsoft-certified/

i have not found a good gallery Module, do know of a good one you can link me to?
i think i cover that here - http://silverstripe.org/customising-the-cms/show/14727

I avoid using the image gallery module by UncleCheese because I think it relies on DOM and Uploadify, when it's a quick job to create a custom one for each client (and each client normally has enough "custom" requirements for their gallery that it makes sense to start of with custom. I do use uploadify with each install, but due to the size (number of source files) this I still keep as a root level module.

One other thing to note is that it does make updates harder when a module is integrated into the mysite - so I only integrate small modules that I could maintain myself.

DesignerX.com.au

28 July 2011 at 8:55pm

this is great :)
as i study Graphic & Web design ( soon, in 6 month my focus will be back at Web design ) , I alwasy searched for something good, But SilverStripe sounds TOO GOOD :) ... i like it

Now i am just learning the coding pattern & its way too easy ... Plain English to design complicated layout .

The only thing i am w8ing for here is SilverStripe3 , i will really need the "module management" options to be part of the CMS , after that, i will be working to provide Themes & Modules to this project.

One more thing, with the "user account" on this forum, it will be nice to have a section with a list of my last posts & a section for topics i have started, easy way to keep track of "my self" :) ? How can i get this message to the developers ?

Again, TY soo much

swaiba

28 July 2011 at 9:07pm

it will be nice to have a section with a list of my last posts & a section for topics i have started

I've requested this as often (see my last post) I reference things I've already said. I deal with this by searching in google, not the forum and also by subscribing to a topic I have a list of the threads labelled up in my email account.

Go to Top