Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Search not working

28 Posts   3674 Views

wilsonStaff

Community Member, 142 Posts

14 September 2011 at 2:52pm

Edited: 14/09/2011 3:18pm

It works!

Solution taken: move Page_results.ss out of /Layout and back into /Templates

Had to rewrite the whole Page_results.ss to include all those #divs, but its works.

Will also have to restyle everything.

One questions:

1) Is there any harm moving Page_results out of /Layout?? Id wouldnt think so.

- - -

Ill sleep better!

Thanks!

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1098 Posts

14 September 2011 at 10:41pm

OK, that's it then. And yes, you can remove Page-results.ss from Layout. As for the why: Layout is used to make it possiblee to create a wrapper template /templates/Page.ss for all pagetypes that are styled alike. Then, where the contents that are different for each pagetype should be, you put $Layout.

Next in your /template/Layout directory you can put template blocks for your different pagetypes in Page.ss, GalleryPage.ss, SomeOtherPageType.ss. SilverStripe automatically include the appropriate part from the Layout directory.

If you have a pagetype like HomePage that should be styled completely different, you just place it in /templates/HomePage.ss, and skip the $Layout part. And that's what you're doing for all your pages at the moment...

Advice: take a look at the SilverStripe tutorials and help, where these things are explained, now the pressure's off :-)

bettsaj

Community Member, 46 Posts

18 September 2011 at 7:45pm

Edited: 18/09/2011 7:45pm

Ok... I have done the following and still search is not working:

Firslty I have added $SearchForm to the page.ss file in mysite/themes/wine/templates/page.ss

The file now looks like this:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>

<% base_tag %>
      $MetaTags
      <link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" />

</head>
<body>
$SearchForm
<div id="Wrapper">
   <div id="Header">
    <h1><span>Christina French</h1>
<p class="tagline">Artist & Tutor</p>
<input type="text" class="search" value="Search" />
</div>
<div id="Nav">
   <% include Navigation %>
</div>

$Layout
<div class="clear"></div>

<div id="Footer">
   <% include Footer %>
</div>

</div>

</body>
</html>

Secondly I have added FulltextSearchable::enable(); to the _config.php file in mysite/_config.php

The file now looks like this:

<?php

FulltextSearchable::enable();
LeftAndMain::require_javascript('userforms/javascript/FieldEditor.js');
LeftAndMain::require_css('userforms/css/FieldEditor.css');

?>

I have run a dev/build and when the page refreshed there was nothing that looked like it had changed. could this be something to do with the template i'm using... If so should I look at some of the other search tutorials??

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1098 Posts

19 September 2011 at 2:00am

No, unless you're referring to some other site now, your code still shows only a single searchfield, that isn't part of a form, so it cannot work. Some questions:

- did you create a function SearchForm() in your Page_Controller? What does it say?

- did you create a function results() in your Page_Controller? What does it say?

- do you by any chance have a SearchForm.ss template hanging around somewhere in your mysite or your (wine) theme directory or anywhere else you can think of besides the saphhire/cms directory?