Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Splitting DataObject using ModelAdmin

4 Posts   628 Views

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1805 Posts

17 August 2011 at 11:51pm

Edited: 18/08/2011 4:28am

Hello everyone,

I have a DataObject (named Extra) that has very much outgrown it's original purpuse and has tons of entries (where it was supposed to have less than a hundred, but now is many thousands).

There is a enum type field and effective dates (and a couple of other "filters").

Currently it is one entry in the managed_models in ModelAdmin, but I keep getting asked to split it up.

It would be easier to modify the presentation of this within ModelAdmin rather than the code that is filled with DataObject::get_by_id('Extra'), $somedataobject->ExtraID and many other things.

So my question is how can I add two entries into the managed_models for Extra based on the type of Extra? or is there another way someone can think of to split this dataobject up for easier access/editting?

All help appreciated!

swaiba

20 August 2011 at 2:52am

Answer to my own question...

Create several ModelAdmin's - set and override the collection controller and add this function...

function getSearchQuery($searchCriteria){
   $query = parent::getSearchQuery($searchCriteria);
   $query->where[] = "Type='Cash Voucher'"; //<-- changing for each type of ModelAdmin
   return $query;
}

Then to handle the increased number of menu items...

https://github.com/ajshort/silverstripe-groupedcmsmenu

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1132 Posts

20 August 2011 at 6:40am

Nice! Couldn't help thinking about it, and all the extra menuitems seemed like an obstacle to me. But then I never knew about the ajshort dropdown menu :-) To complete things: how do you handle new items getting the correct value for each type? A hidden field I guess?

swaiba

23 August 2011 at 8:45am

how do you handle new items getting the correct value for each type? A hidden field I guess?

That part is fine - there are only 3/4 "Types" in the enum that need to be split out. So creating an individual ModelAdmin with a hardcoded extra where clause added in getSearchQuery is fine.