Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

DataObjectGet Pagees by parent ClassName

5 Posts   961 Views

micahsheets

Community Member, 165 Posts

30 August 2011 at 7:09am

How do I write a Join clause in DataObjectGet that will return all the pages that have a particular page type as the parent?

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

30 August 2011 at 2:58pm

SS automatically joins all the parent classes. What happens when you do DataObject::get('ParentClass') ? I think you'll get all the children objects.

moloko_man

Community Member, 72 Posts

30 August 2011 at 3:56pm

Is there a way to do this on a DataObject instead of a Page?

for example I have:
Category has_many SubCategory (SubCategory has_one Category)
SubCategory has_many Item (Item has_one SubCategory)

Then retrieve the parent or grandparent of Item?

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

30 August 2011 at 4:42pm

Well thats slightly different to your earlier question.

If you have the given item, you can use the ORM to get that (it won't be lighting quick). $item->Subcategory()->Category();

If you're trying to get it via DataObject::get() then you have to write a standard SQL JOIN cause to join subcategory and category.

moloko_man

Community Member, 72 Posts

30 August 2011 at 4:50pm

Edited: 30/08/2011 4:54pm

Sorry, I kind of hijacked this post there. My question was different from the OP.
Thank you for that quick response @Willr

Apologies @micahsheets. I've sort of done what you are asking, but I've never put it with join before.
WIllr's answer is correct, I've tested it and it returns a list of children belonging to the called class.

EDIT: WIllr, using $this->SubCategory()->Category() works perfectly! Love how simple it was. Thanks again.