Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Are Arrayed CMSFields Possible?

3 Posts   502 Views

Tama

Community Member, 130 Posts

7 September 2011 at 3:02pm

Howdy

I can't think of the right terminology to search the documentation/ interweb for a solution so I thought I'd ask here.

I want to extend the Page class so CMS users can upload and place images on a page (which gives us more control over where they place images compared to just inserting them into the HTML editor.)

Each image would need:
1. An upload field
2. A dropdown for placement (i.e. left, right, top, bottom)
3. A caption

However I want users to be able to do this for as many images as they want. I could create (for example) 6 groups of image fields but this would look cluttered on the CMS, and there's always the chance a user wants to add 8 images.

The ideal solution would be to have a tab that creates a new set of fields every time an image is added.

Is this possible?

Cheers
Tama

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

7 September 2011 at 8:50pm

Well you could represent those fields as a dataobject then attach a has_many relationship between your Page class and that new Dataobject.

Tutorial 5 covers the basics of dataobjects and relations: http://doc.silverstripe.org/sapphire/en/tutorials/5-dataobject-relationship-management

Tama

Community Member, 130 Posts

8 September 2011 at 9:17am

Thanks Will - that's what I'm after. Just couldn't think of the right search terms.