Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

How robust and scalable is Silverstripe?

Go to End

11 Posts   4573 Views

snarf1974

Community Member, 4 Posts

7 October 2011 at 2:23am

I work for a large organisation in the U.K., and we are currently looking for a CMS system, as all our pages are still maintained manually (much to our astonishment and amusement).

There are approximately 18,000 pages and 12,000 PDF's which span 180 microsites. These are situated in a root folder and all use the same top level domain.

How scalable is Silverstripe?
Ideally we would like the admin back-end to accommodate all 180+ microsites in one tree structure, is this feasible?

Would the subsite module (http://www.silverstripe.org/subsites-module/) be able to handle such a large website?

Could anyone provide any examples of Organisations which use Silverstripe for sites of this size?

Many Thanks

jand

Community Member, 30 Posts

7 October 2011 at 3:20am

Hi, I can't say much to your initial question (yet). But one thing about the subsite module: If you want to have all your sites in one (visible) tree structure, you won't be happy with the subsite module. Because this module displays each subsite in a different tree (you can switch with drop down field).

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

7 October 2011 at 3:49am

Edited: 07/10/2011 5:02am

aram (from ssbits) was showing a modifcation to the subsitesmodule to share sitetrees from each subsite. Also there is a crackin tutorial on ssbits to use dataobjects as pages.

But to answer the direct question - I don't have an example of that size - maybe from silverstripe would be able to respond.

snarf1974

7 October 2011 at 4:51am

Hi swaiba and jand, many thanks for your replies.

swaiba, have you got the link for the ssbits tutorial?, I can't seem to find it.

The team are looking at a few open source CMS systems, namely Expression Engine, Plone, Drupal, Joomla and Silverstripe. Drupal seems to be the CMS of choice by most of the team, however a few have used Silverstripe and think it's much better than the competition, and obviously would be quicker to get to grips with, as a few members of the team have experience with Silverstripe.

The main issue is can Silverstripe handle a massive site (18,000 pages, 12,000 PDF's and growing) compared to the likes of Drupal?

Cheers

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

7 October 2011 at 5:02am

Edited: 07/10/2011 5:03am

Here are the links...

http://www.ssbits.com/tutorials/2010/dataobjects-as-pages-part-1-keeping-it-simple/
http://www.ssbits.com/tutorials/2010/dataobjects-as-pages-part-2-using-model-admin-and-url-segments-to-create-a-product-catalogue/

On the ones I can comment on (the others I have no knowledge) Drupal is "hot" at the moment, but I find it not as developer friendly to customize (as a result the freelance drupal guys are raking it in at the moment). Joomla is worse and not "hot".

My gut insticnt says yes silverstirpe can cope (using the above method) for an example of that silvercart handles "products" (which of course have pages, many images for each, organised into categories, etc) - http://www.silvercart.org/mainnavigation/blog/can-silvercart-cope-with-100-000-products/

hope this helps

snarf1974

7 October 2011 at 10:37am

That's great, thanks for the links and info.

It looks like we'll be testing a few CMS systems in the prototype phase, to see which one best suits our needs. It would be ideal if someone from Silverstripe could reply and confirm if Silverstripe can cope with an 18,000+ pages website, and perhaps mention an organisation of this size which has successfully deployed their site using Silverstripe.

This is going to be a big undertaking, and Drupal seems to be the CMS of choice at the moment, but I still think Silverstripe could give Drupal a run for it's money.

Cheers

vwd

Community Member, 166 Posts

7 October 2011 at 4:24pm

Hi Snarf1974,

Would be interested in hearing your team's conclusion...

Drupal or Silverstripe - who won?

Thanks.
VWD

vwd

Community Member, 166 Posts

7 October 2011 at 4:24pm

Hi Snarf1974,

Would be interested in hearing your team's conclusion...

Drupal or Silverstripe - who won?

Thanks.
VWD

Go to Top