Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Critical Help!

Go to End

11 Posts   1506 Views

airgrace

Community Member, 8 Posts

25 October 2011 at 5:13am

Hi,
I am relatively new to silverstripe, I am hoping someone can quickly help me with an issue I am having which is hindering my workflow, as I am on very tight deadline. I was tasked to replicate an existing silverstripe site for a client to two other separate domains. Which I did, everything was well and great till one of the designers started making changes to the 'textual' content of the site. Turns out that everytime he makes content changes it's being replicated to all the other sites too. However if you make any aesthetic changes, that does have any effect. Can someone please help me? Is there something I am missing, I've wrecked my head trying to figure this out since morning to no avail.

Thanks,

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

25 October 2011 at 5:39am

Hi airgrace,

Can you please provide some more information on this please... I don't follow the differenct between textual and content changes...
Please describe the problem in a fashion that can be understood in terms like...

i Have site x,y and z on different domains with seperate silverstirpe installations.
i open page xxx on site x and change content html in main.content OR i edit file xxx in themes/mytheme/template/page.ss

something more along those lines and it might be easier to help you

airgrace

25 October 2011 at 5:50am

Hi Swaiba,
Thanks for the prompt response. Alright, I'll try to explain it more easily. So essentially this is the original site (http://gomunro.com/).
These are the replicated:
http://electronics.netdifference.ca/
http://computer.netdifference.ca/

What I had done was simply create a backup of the original site via Cpanel, and then jumped to the new domain sites, and simply restored them. Please excuse lack of knowledge on Silverstripe I am still trying to get to grips with it. However, I would presume that once you duplicate a site to another domain, it is a completely different entity, so any changes you make to it should not be replicated elsewhere.

What I meant by 'textual content' is where you actually just add text.
What was happening was that the designer was just changing text in the electronics site, and noticed that it was replicating it in the actually GoMunro site. Which is unnatural.
I hope that this is helpful, I am not even sure how to proceed with solving this :S.

swaiba

25 October 2011 at 5:53am

if you have a cPanel backup that would include things like mysite/_config.php that generally includes a database details. Can you confirm that each of the seperate sites has it's own database details in each _config.php?

airgrace

25 October 2011 at 5:57am

I do, I just opened up the file you just mentioned. Unfortunately it doesn't really contain any sort of database information.

global $project;
$project = 'mysite';

global $database;
$database = 'ss';

require_once('conf/ConfigureFromEnv.php');

MySQLDatabase::set_connection_charset('utf8');

// This will allow us to add our own fields and tabs to the SiteConfig
DataObject::add_extension('SiteConfig', 'SiteConfigOverride');

// This line set's the current theme. More themes can be
// downloaded from http://www.silverstripe.org/themes/
SSViewer::set_theme('custom');

// enable nested URLs for this site (e.g. page/sub-page/)
SiteTree::enable_nested_urls();

GD::set_default_quality(100);

// This will remove the sapphire's built-in js form validation
// so we can use jquery.validate instead
Validator::set_javascript_validation_handler('none');

SortableDataObject::add_sortable_class('Slide');

airgrace

25 October 2011 at 6:04am

I even checked the _ss_environment.php file, the information in the individual files is different and disjoint from each other. Is there something I am missing? I can't quite comprehend how it each replicated site could be accessing information from each other?

swaiba

25 October 2011 at 6:09am

It depends on "how" you duplicate the site - if you leave a connectionstring to the old db, not the new one then the "files" are duplicated but it will point to an old databse. Also if you have taken the ".htaccess" file then this could do even more... it could point each domain to the "old" files and not even look at the duplicated files.

It does sound like they are sharing the same database, or even the htaccess.

Can you check that all the htaccess contains unique "RewriteBase /foldername"

airgrace

25 October 2011 at 6:11am

Could you tell me which .htaccess file I should be looking at? Apparently when I browse through the hierarchy I see quite a few.

Go to Top