Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

How does GridField work?

Go to End

11 Posts   3495 Views

dendeffe

Community Member, 135 Posts

4 November 2011 at 2:36am

Does anyone have a bit of example code for GridField in the new Alpha? Would like to test it out, but not sure how it works.

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

4 November 2011 at 5:31am

Oh I am just itching to know this too... I see from teh release notes that this isn't ready yet - I was really hoping for ModelAdmin to be working as it is the conerstone of most of my projects with silverstripe - but alas I will need to wait... hopefully the next (beta) release will contain it?

Of course got to say the layout and esiting of the sitetree and content is first class - especially the load speed - fantastic!

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

4 November 2011 at 6:23pm

An example is on the GridField development wiki - https://github.com/silverstripe-scienceninjas/sapphire/wiki/grid-field

dendeffe

Community Member, 135 Posts

4 November 2011 at 8:26pm

Thanks Willr - let's see if I can get this working.

Matty Balaam

Community Member, 74 Posts

17 November 2011 at 1:34am

Just to check, I thought about starting to rebuild a website using SS3 to see how easy/hard it will be to replace DOM with the new system.

However, from this message I gather it is too early to upload/edit e.g. an image gallery with text fields?

Sorry for the rudimentary question!

Matty Balaam

Community Member, 74 Posts

22 November 2011 at 1:06am

Just bumping this up to see if anyone knows the answer.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

22 November 2011 at 10:37pm

Just to check, I thought about starting to rebuild a website using SS3 to see how easy/hard it will be to replace DOM with the new system.

The API's are quite different so won't be a straight easy replacement. GridField won't have all the functionality of DOM straight away either. It's still under relatively heavy development so once the API has been locked down and completed then you'll want to raise the idea of an upgrade documentation for that in particular. I know for the bits I've worked on, will need to be heavily documented for upgrading but waiting for beta / API to be confirmed before starting that work.

jaredkipe

Community Member, 16 Posts

23 November 2011 at 7:16am

Willr, do you have any idea when any kind of beta or stable release will actually be coming along?

I'm having problems even hooking into CMSMain properly at the moment. Let alone getting GridField to do anything useful.

Go to Top