Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

My first impressions of SilverStripe 3 alpha

5 Posts   965 Views

dendeffe

Community Member, 135 Posts

9 November 2011 at 3:02am

I finally had time top post my first impressions on the Alpha release: http://defunkt.nu/blog-en/silverstripe-3-0-alpha-1-first-impressions/
Let me know if you see any inaccuracies.

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1799 Posts

11 November 2011 at 8:37am

great write up thanks for posting

edenview

Community Member, 13 Posts

15 November 2011 at 3:28pm

I have used the new Alpha 1 and found the layout okay but graphics to be stunning!
I agree that I won't upgrade unless the page tree is on the left of the editor.
It should look exactly like your diagram. Switching via Pages tab will NOT work.
I personally found it ultra slow (maybe due to Alpha release). Approximately x30 slower than current version 2.4.6
In all versions of Silverstripe I have struggled to be able to duplicate a whole page including content, metadata, etc.
Duplicating a page at present requires creating a new page then saving, going to the other page, copying data, going back to new page, pasting, saving and repeating the process until all completed. It's a nightmare! In most cases I need the same layout and formatting. Metadata is always the same and only a few words change.
Another problem I encountered was the html editor didn't appear until you click the save button.
I am mainly looking forward to the new version 3, due to the comments ability to be used multiple times on the BlogHolder.ss
Attached is a mockup designed by community member: dendeffe

Attached Files
dendeffe

Community Member, 135 Posts

15 November 2011 at 6:49pm

Just to be clear: that screenshot comes from SilverStripe's own designs on GitHub: https://github.com/silverstripe/silverstripe-design

From what I've heard, something like that will make it to the final version.

edenview

Community Member, 13 Posts

15 November 2011 at 7:19pm

Got ya!

Glad to hear that something like that will make it to the final version.