Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

ScheduledTask not working ... noob help please!

5 Posts   405 Views

nimesodelta

Community Member, 21 Posts

9 November 2011 at 7:55pm

Hi All,

I've been racking the forums for 2 hours now and only seem to be moving forward slowly...

I've extended QuarterHourlyTask as follows:

<?php
class ZQQuarterHourlyTask extends QuarterHourlyTask {

public function process(){
      $From = "test@gmail.com";
      $To = "test@gmail.com";    
      $email = new Email($From, $To, "TEST TASK", "TEST TASK");
      $email->send();

Debug::message("Yes it works! Yippie!");
   }

}

this seems to work fine if I go to http://mysite/ZQQuarterHourlyTask and the email gets sent a-ok and I can see the debug message.

Problem is... as of yet it doesn't send the email automatically every fifteen minutes it ONLY works when I test it through the URL?

Am I missing somthing here?

Any help would be great! I'm tearing my hair out.
I'm running wamp on a pc if that helps

Thanks heaps!

Jamie

nimesodelta

10 November 2011 at 11:42am

Anyone? please help. :) was up till 4am trying to solve this one and had nightmares about code... lol

Cheers
Jamie

JonoM

Community Member, 103 Posts

10 November 2011 at 12:56pm

Hi Jamie,

I wasn't aware of this function before but if you look at the API docs http://api.silverstripe.org/trunk/sapphire/cron/ScheduledTask.html you can see that it's not enough to subclass a ScheduledTask - you still have to trigger the tasks by using something like cron. There's a sample cron setup on that page but I'm not sure how you would set up same on WAMP.

nimesodelta

11 November 2011 at 11:29pm

Thanks Jono!

So I'm kinda safe to say that if testing through the browser works fine then I dont need to worry untill the site is on the live server? then I'll hassle the hosting guys to help me out? lol :)

If it works in the url test then it should be fine once the server guys create a cron job etc etc...

Can I de-stress a bit now?

Cheers
Jamie

JonoM

Community Member, 103 Posts

12 November 2011 at 12:54pm

I think so :) cron jobs aren't hard to set up in something like cpanel so if it works through the URL then I think you should be good