Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

File upload permissions - Godaddy shared hosting

Go to End

3 Posts   4751 Views

flipsidenz

Community Member, 49 Posts

13 November 2011 at 12:49pm

Hi all,

I have a live Silverstripe 2.4.5 website currently sitting on a Godaddy Linux shared hosting account.

One issue which has cropped up is file permissions on files uploaded via the CMS.

I have read/write permissions setup for the assets folder, and also the assets/Uploads folder - both set to 777.

When I upload a file to the uploads folder, the file is uploaded, but assigned a 600 permission setting (which is read only for the owner, inaccessible by the public)

Does anyone have an experience with this, and know how to ensure files are uploaded with the ability for the public to read uploaded files?

flipsidenz

Community Member, 49 Posts

14 November 2011 at 7:42pm

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue and knows how to resolve the problem?

johnmblack

Community Member, 62 Posts

15 November 2011 at 5:24am

Sometimes it's not just the permissions, it's the Owner. We had similar issues. Did *you* create the assets and uploads folder, or did you let SilverStripe create it? If you created them, then try removing them completely, then doing a dev/build and try going into the CMS and uploading some files. This should make SS automatically create whatever folder it detects is missing, and then the webservice will be the owner of that folder instead of you.

-John