Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Adding db data through php

7 Posts   523 Views

ismooth

Community Member, 22 Posts

15 January 2012 at 1:34am

It's pretty straightforward to build up database, prepare site structure and so on with SS, but I was wondering weather is possible to fill in some data, e.g. add some users, security groups, maybe even some pages? I'm especially interested in adding security groups.

Some further explanation: If I by some accident lose my database, i just run dev/build and db will be built (or say prepared) from scratch. But contents will be empty. Since I'm building a user registration form, I want it to add users to a specific security group, but what if that group doesn't exist? Can I prepare (or in db sence build) that group (only once, ofcourse) so that if I only pass that php file to someone else, everything work out of the box?

danzzz

Community Member, 175 Posts

15 January 2012 at 1:53am

hi

first you save your member, then add the member to a group ...

// code to save member here

$Member = new Member();
$form->saveInto($Member);
$Member->write(); // you should do this in try block

// check if group exists

$userGroup = DataObject::get_one('Group', "Code = 'Mitglieder'");
if($userGroup) {
   $userGroup->Members()->add($Member);
} else {
// report error or craete group
}

ismooth

15 January 2012 at 3:43am

that's okay, but if group doesn't exist, how do I create it (from php script)? Furthermore, how do I create it only once, and that's when I build my database?

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1098 Posts

15 January 2012 at 6:40am

For something like that, you'd probably have to somehow extend the /dev/build functionality. since that is outside core, you might lose that as well some dark day :-) In that case you might just as well backup your database - and use that if you ever need to install again... Or am I missing something?

I always use the database backup of a complete install for a certain type of site, to reinstall whenever I want...

Cheers, martine

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

15 January 2012 at 8:51pm

You should use the requireDefaultRecords() function on a DataObject subclass (i.e Page) for this. You can see on SiteTree.php this function is used to populate the default db. Same with blog / forum. The function is called whenever you run dev/build

Example:
function requireDefaultRecords() {
parent::requireDefaultRecords();

if(!DataObject::get_one('Group', "Code = 'foo'")) {
$group = new Group();
$group->Code = 'foo';
$group->write();
}
}

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1098 Posts

15 January 2012 at 11:19pm

I stand corrected... thati absolutely is a good option and I just plain missed it :-(

martine

ismooth

20 January 2012 at 11:55pm

Just tried it out, and works like a charm!! Thanks guys!