Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Integrate small web-app into SS

Go to End

3 Posts   740 Views

suntrop

Community Member, 141 Posts

15 February 2012 at 8:04am

Hi there.
I am going to build a small web-app where users can share travel destinations. The main website uses SilverStripe and now I'd like to use SS for the new add-on too.
At frist, I wanted to add a new pagetype and put all special features in its php code. But there will be a lot of (roughly 500 p.a.) destinations, so the SiteTree in SS-Back-end will get pretty slow after a while.
All travel destinations consist of about 20 text fields, some links and five photos.

Is there any chance to block those pages in SiteTree? Or is there a better way to integrate this into SS? Would love to hear some tipps and links!

Many thanks!
- suntrop -

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1391 Posts

16 February 2012 at 12:19am

You might want to delve into using DataObjects as pages. You can then use ModelAdmin to manage them. ModelAdmin is far better suited to manage large amounts of DataObjects.

There's a tutorial here on SSBits:
http://www.ssbits.com/tutorials/2010/dataobjects-as-pages-part-2-using-model-admin-and-url-segments-to-create-a-product-catalogue/

suntrop

Community Member, 141 Posts

16 February 2012 at 10:12am

Thanks for the Link. I'll give it a try. I was a little bit afraid about the performance in back-end if there are a lot of objects. I was really impressed, as I saw there is now problem with 50000 entries :-) I had tested it with another module that displays objects in a similar way. The next days I check if the DataObjects can do what I want (… or better, if I can do it with DataObjects :-)

I think there will be some other questions that'll come :-D

Other tipps are welcome!