Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Is SilverStripe worth installing?

Go to End

3 Posts   1003 Views

Kjøllefjord

Community Member, 8 Posts

5 April 2012 at 10:29am

A few years ago I was active in trying to produce a few websites for some small companies. Then I had WAMP server on my laptop and installed Silverstripe so I could show what was possible. I took a few templates (my favorite was Vista) and altered them to suit. I also showed them add-ins such as the Diary module and the e-commerce. It all went fairly easily, if I put a question onto the forums I normally got an answer reasonably quickly.

Now after a number of years I'm in the position where people want me to help with their websites again. I downloaded the MS WebMatrix and Silverstripe and thought, here we go!

However, the Diary module doesn't seem to work properly. I'm totally confused about how to include the e-commerce module and the few questions I've posted on the forums have not had a single reply.

I've now also installed Joomla, as I had a little experience with it before, and it looks as though I have to proceed with this CMS because I can find the answer to any query or solution to any problem reasonably easily. However I still find SilverStripes CMS more comfortable to work with.

Now the question: This is ok when the website is just a project on my laptop, but what happens when I publish a site and then have problems when it's out in the "Wild Blue Yonder"

Any comments/advise/abuse would be appreciated :o)

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

5 April 2012 at 11:16am

Edited: 05/04/2012 11:16am

Now the question: This is ok when the website is just a project on my laptop, but what happens when I publish a site and then have problems when it's out in the "Wild Blue Yonder"

When things go wrong with silverstripe it is written in such a way that I can debug it, it is well written code. I've not seen that in other CMSes but then I'm fairly biased now and focused mainly on silverstripe.

To address your other concerns - try silver-cart for a more responsive silverstripe eCommerce solution and check git hub for more up to date modules rather than this site. Many things are being improved regarding modules (the Google summer of code messages I've seen are focused on exactly those issues).

At the end of the day if you don't feel up to the job of supporting a website then do not put it out there. If you want a "click-click-done" website then silverstripe probably isn't for you, but if you want one that is coder friendly it is.

Hope this helps.

Kjøllefjord

Community Member, 8 Posts

5 April 2012 at 7:18pm

Thanks for your reply.

I shall have a look at the silver-cart e-commerce solution and the git hub site for modules.

In retrospect I probably just got a little annoyed with myself for not being able to progress as quickly as I thought I would. Not being able to focus full time on the project doesn't help either.

Thanks once again and I'll see how goes.