Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

global Vars

4 Posts   492 Views

Futureweb

Community Member, 233 Posts

10 April 2012 at 2:12pm

Hi,

using htaccess I'm adding a parameter to the URL, which gives a different reference depending what subdomain the user is viewing

eg,
member1.mysite.com goes to mysite.com?ref=member1
member2.mysite.com goes to mysite.com?ref=member2

SS then presents slightly different info depending on the 'ref' code.

At present, each time I want to use the ref code, I'm getting the info form the url, checking againts a database table, and getting the user info.

I would like to get the data once, (maybe in the init function) and then set things like user ID, name etc as global vars.

If i set the global var in the init function, and try access it in another function, i'm getting swathes of errors. I could maybe set as a session - this could work, but i'm thinking there must be a var of doing this as a global var....

any ideas?

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1805 Posts

10 April 2012 at 7:43pm

I'd probably drop the .htaccess stuff and just parse the domain within silverstripe (in the page init method) and lookup the relevant member there. Instead of a global var I'd put the id into the session - but really if you make a nice succinct functino to parse the domain then whenever you want the informatino you coudl just call that instead of session / global var.

Futureweb

Community Member, 233 Posts

10 April 2012 at 8:16pm

Hi Barry,

Getting SS to parse the domain makes sense. For some reason hadn't thought about that.

This is now a different issue, but how would one define a function in the page.php file that I could call in the other pages? It's probably a simple issue but I didn't get this to work...

Cheers

Jon

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1805 Posts

10 April 2012 at 8:49pm

make it a public static function