Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Webshop - best approach?

Go to End

4 Posts   1022 Views

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1391 Posts

4 May 2012 at 1:27am

Hi all,
I'm asked to build a webshop that will ultimately hold a couple of thousand products, and cater to multiple countries. I'll also be implementing multiple payment options, including iDeal (netherlands). I'd like to get the first version of that site ready for testing in, say, two months time. That will be one language/country only. The multi-country version will follow (not much) later.

So now i'm wondering if SilverStripe is up to the task. I know there are at least the two modules eCommerce (in multiple versions) and SilverCart. Also that the payment module of the former is now part of the GSOC. I'm looking for the moste likely candidate to get this done, where

- new payment methods/providers is at least doable
- Thousands of products can be handled
- Translatable is supported, or can at least be implemented within a reasonable amount of time (including country-related settings)
- SS3 will be supported in time, and upgrading doable :-)
- The system is extendible enough for adding custom(?) bits like callouts and combined products and vouchers, giftcertificates, giftwrapping and stuff

I can do my bit of coding, no problem, and I'd rather avoid turning away from SilverStripe to, say, Magento... Apologies for the rather long story - Any help/advice is very much appreciated!!!

Thanks, Martine

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

4 May 2012 at 1:34am

Edited: 04/05/2012 1:51am

Hey Martine,

I can only comment on a couple of the issues...

1) Silvercart is going to be the serious option for "idustrial strength" - when I started out I emulated some attributes of the silverstripe eCommerce system for our booking software - and they were not scalable. Things like storing the current order in the session, use of pages as products, etc. However number of bookings and datbase structure is much better in Silvercart
2) Niether has the payments for iDeal and both will be an efforr to code it - but the silverstripe payments are going to be better in the long run for flexibility of other payments without any extra work
3)The system is extendible enough for adding custom(?) bits - again I'd say silvercart

The warning is that silvercart has a lot of complexity - last time I spoke with teh guy behind it he said they had placed a facade on it to make it simpler when you are starting out.

Hope this helps!

Barry

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1391 Posts

4 May 2012 at 1:49am

Thanks Swaiba - that was fast! :-)

...when I started out I emulated some attributes of the system for our booking software - and they were not scalable.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here - are you saying SilverCart is not scalable or rather SilverStripe commerce isn't?

So, silvercart would be the best option in your opinion? And creating payments is a hassle either way, but i might be better off with the silverstripe version... i was thinking of looking into a payment provider that offers a complete package, including iDeal with only the one api to work against. If acceptable to the client.

And it leaves the question of translatable/multi country settings...

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

4 May 2012 at 1:54am

I've updated that first sentance to make it clearer!

I do think Both are translatable - but again I think silvercart handles it better - they have a "quick installer" and are nice guys to ask questions to so I'd encourage you to head over to their forums / site and ask there