Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Have a page as the rendering page for a specific DataObject but without a route to the page

4 Posts   717 Views

neros3

Community Member, 51 Posts

22 May 2012 at 10:27am

Hi

Yes, the Title sounds a bit wierd.

Im having a lot of products and I've made them DataObjects to avoid the SiteTree being filled up with items/products.
Currently I have a Category_Controller which handles category view and product view via two routes.

When rendering a product I would like to be able to use another page as the "rendering template". On this page I need a specific widget area that should not be shown on the category page. But since its the same controller that handles both category view and product view I can't seem to find a good solution to this.

Any help is appreciated.

Help:
1. Maybe I could do with 2 widget areas? But is that possible?
2. Also trying to set a page type on the Category object from the Category_Controller (product or category depending on wich method is fired via the routes). But it doesnt seem to be the same object I get when fetching Director::currentPage();

Please let me know if you need further explaination as I know this all might sound a bit tricky!

Thanks!

neros3

23 May 2012 at 7:01am

Edited: 23/05/2012 7:10am

I'll try to be a bit more clear...

/products/{ProductCategory_Page}/{Product_Page}

Both ProductCategory_Page and Product_Page are dynamic urls - but since Im using "DataObjects as pages" from ssbits.com I don't have a page for my Product in the sitetree. I only have a page for the ProductCategory. And since product category is dynamic (DataObject) I can't write a route for it (or at least I don't know that I can...).

Makes sense anyone?

neros3

23 May 2012 at 7:07am

Would it be possible to tell the ShowProduct action on ProductCategory_Controller to grab another Page and use that for the rendering?
Of course this would require getting two pages - But could it work?

johannes

Community Member, 20 Posts

23 May 2012 at 8:39pm

Yesterday I worked on a project and I'm using one Page to list items and show the detail view. I don't use DataObjectAsPages, but it's a similar approach.

I added the following code to the method fetching the data for the detail view:

$data = DataList::create('MyDataObject')->filter('URLSegment', $url_segment)->first();

if ($data) {
return $this->renderWith(array('CustomTemplate', 'Page'), $data);
} else {
return array();
}

Maybe this works for you too.