Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

ComplexTableField inline editing?

Go to End

5 Posts   1958 Views

Jonathan Hyatt

Community Member, 11 Posts

29 May 2012 at 5:33am

Hi,

I am currently using a ComplexTableField to edit data that will be saved in a sparse matrix (E-A-V Model) and it works fine, but it not an optimal user interface for the editor, considering they will be adding a lot of data.

I would like to change the interface to allow multiple lines to be edited at one time (inline editing) and all entries save at one time with one Save button. I will also have to use a custom query to load the data (because not all values exist) and will need to override the writing of the data to the database to preserve the minimal data required for the EAV model.

In the attached image, there is a "Value" column. That is the column that needs to be editable and a 'Save' button associated with it.

Is there a way to do this within the framework? Override a Field Type? Or should I write completely custom PHP code to load, render and save the data and just put it in a tab. If so, are there examples of that I can reference?

Thanks,
Jonathan.

Attached Files
swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

30 May 2012 at 2:42am

Hi JonYYC,

I don't think you'll get info on this - I asked Ingo for it recently at a meetup and he said no :(

I've added http://www.simple-groupware.de/demo/simple_spreadsheet/spreadsheet.php?lang=en to our system to edit / view large amounts of data. I always meant to make a module for it, I always do, but didn't...

I would advise sticking to use of Excel and then extend CsvBulkLoader to parse the data for mass data entry.

Jonathan Hyatt

Community Member, 11 Posts

30 May 2012 at 7:44am

Hi swaiba,

That's too bad, but I guess you can't have everything, especially when using unusual data formats. Thanks for the response.

Jonathan.

jonm80

Community Member, 12 Posts

20 June 2012 at 6:18pm

have you thought of using vba for this?

ive been using vba to achieve something simular, now im wanting to have some form of editing data by simply clicking on a value in a table

something like this? http://dhtmlx.com/docs/products/dhtmlxSpreadsheet/index.shtml

jonm80

Community Member, 12 Posts

20 June 2012 at 6:26pm