Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Setting up the correct relation

4 Posts   412 Views

woodb2

Community Member, 48 Posts

12 June 2012 at 7:01am

Edited: 12/06/2012 11:08am

I have a basic site for Project tracking. Originally we were just keeping track of what Projects the Developers are working on.

I had a many_many relationship between two DataObjects Project and Developer

Project extends DataObject {

static $many_many = array(
   'Developers' => 'Developer'
   );

Developer extends DataObject {

static $belongs_many_many = array(
   'Projects' => 'Project'
   );

I'm using ModelAdmin (we're just looking to manage it in the backend).

We would like to assign a percentage of the Developer's time when we assign them to a project(s). I haven't been able to come up with a good method to add the PercentTime field into this. Originally I was going to use a checkboxfieldset to pick the developers, but you can't assign the percent of the developers time then. The more I thought about it, there didn't seem to be a good way to enter data on two many_many fields that are related to each other.

Brian

Bambii7

Community Member, 254 Posts

13 June 2012 at 1:28pm

Make a third object for TimeEntry or what have you

Time extends DataObject {

$db = array(
'time' => 'Int'
);

$has_one = array(
'dev' => 'Developer',
'pro' => 'Project'
);

}

then add a has_many -> time to projects

$has_many = array(
'times' =>'Time'
)

You should then be able to assign time in admin.

woodb2

Community Member, 48 Posts

14 June 2012 at 1:19am

Thanks, that does allow me to assign the time, but I have an odd issue now. I'm adding the Developer and Time with a DataObjectManger (I get the same results with a ComplexTableField) like so:

Project extends DataObject

//Add Developer and Percent of Time
      $manager = new DataObjectManager(
         $this,
         'Developers',
         'Developer'
      );
      $fields->addFieldToTab("Root.Resources", $manager);

The Resource Tab that is created Let's me add the Developer and Time, but when I create a new Project, the existing Developer and Time are already entered. I was expecting to see a blank table every time I create a new project

If I change Project to be a Page instead of a DataObject, it works correctly. Reading the documentation on DataObjectManager (and ComplexTableField) the $this states that it's the current Controller. Do I have to use a Page class in order to make this work or is there another way to enter the Developer and Time using a DataObject?

Thanks

Bambii7

Community Member, 254 Posts

14 June 2012 at 3:40pm

Ops sorry I think you'll want many_many not has_many which is what I first said.

Project
$many_many = array(
'times' =>'Time'
)

Time
$belongs_many_many
'project' = 'project'