Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

l18n - Install PHPUnit without PEAR or CLI

3 Posts   594 Views

LePhil

Community Member, 3 Posts

22 June 2012 at 4:13am

Kia Ora, oh silverstriped ones!

I just started working on a little page in SS. So far I'm very happy and excited about it, as it's (at least for me) a new way to develop websites.

The problem is that the website should be in 3 languages. I enabled l18n

i18n::enable();
i18n::set_locale('de_CH');

and translated most of my pages. Now there are of course elements, like text in a footer or header, that aren't really content and are hardcoded in the template. As it's stated on [url=http://doc.silverstripe.org/framework/en/topics/i18n]here[/url] I made variables out of them:

<a href="http://www.silverstripe.com" title="<% _t('VISIT','Visit www.silverstripe.com') %>">

Now I should be able to collect all these strings via PHPUnit, right?
Unfortunately, I work on a hosted server and don't have access to a CLI or the core elements of the file system. There are ways, supposedly, to install PHPUnit without PEAR, but mostly require CLI access.

So. Is there any way I can get the l18n variable overview without CLI or PEAR? How?

And, almost as important: Will this give me a way to translate/change texts in different languages in the UI? Or do I have to change the text for each language in the database?

Any advice would be welcome, really. Have been trying to get it to work for 3 hours now without success.

LePhil

Community Member, 3 Posts

3 August 2012 at 3:44am

It was too much of a hassle with our hoster, so we did the list by hand. It's not that much work, anyway :)

Closed, I'd say.

brooklyngem

Community Member, 2 Posts

1 September 2013 at 7:32am

Edited: 01/09/2013 7:33am

Hi LePhil,

I'm having similar issue. (I have 3.0 installed on a hosted server.) Since I don't have a whole lot of hard coded text that need to be translated, I want to manually create the translation file instead of running the text collector.

Where did you place the translation file and how do you format it?

I tried creating a file in: mysite/lang/en_US.yml

Then entered the text like this:

en_US:
NameSpace:
HelloWorld: 'Hello World!'

Then in the template, I added the translation like this:

<%t NameSpace.HelloWorld "Hello World!" %>

But it's not working. :S What am I doing wrong?? I'd appreciate any help!